Man, 47, who died at friend's flat had history of drug and alcohol abuse
A 47-YEAR-old Stroud man with a long history of drug and alcohol abuse collapsed and died while visiting a friend, an inquest heard on Thursday.
Simon Hancock had been drinking heavily and taking drugs since his early 20s, the hearing was told.
Mr Hancock, of Mathews Way, Paganhill, died on September 11 last year.
He had died in a friend's flat in Duderstadt Close, Stroud, around 9pm.
The inquest heard that Mr Hancock had a long history of substance abuse and support for his addictions.
In January last year, he was trying to reduce his use of prescribed anti-depressants.
Mr Hancock had become depressed after his brother became seriously ill and this had reminded him of his mother's death through cancer.
Despite support, Mr Hancock's problems worsened over 2012.
Drug and alcohol abuse appeared to have taken its toll and resulted in his collapse and death, said Gloucestershire deputy coroner David Dooley.
The cause of death was given as the combined toxic effects of morphine, codeine, diazepam and alcohol and a verdict of death due to natural causes was recorded.