7:09pm Tuesday 10th September 2013
By SNJ Reporter
CONTROVERSIAL plans for 150 homes on Mankley Field in Leonard Stanley have been unanimously rejected.
The plans by property developer Gladman came before Stroud District Council’s development control committee tonight, Tuesday, with a recommendation for refusal.
Officers recommended refusal for several reasons.
They pointed out that the site is located outside the 'defined settlement boundary' and say national policy does not require the land, which is agricultural, to be used for housing.
There is also the possibility that prehistoric or Roman remains are present.
Officers also said insufficient information had been provided about the possible impact on protected species of wildlife.
In addition, they said there were insufficient details about how potential problems at the Marsh Road/Church Lane junction would be addressed.
Campaigners recently delivered nearly 260 letters of objection and a petition with more than 1,000 signatures to Ebley Mill.
Opposition to the development off Bath Road is based on traffic issues, lack of amenities and residents say the development would mean Leonard Stanley and King's Stanley would essentially become one village.
Diane Odell, chairman of the Mankley Field Action Group, said: "We would not only lose our last bit of green space but also our separate village characters."
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group