5:18pm Tuesday 11th February 2014
By Kate Wilson
CAMPAIGNERS have vowed to fight resubmitted plans for 150 homes in Leonard Stanley.
It was revealed this week that new plans by developer Gladman for homes on Mankley Field were being recommended for approval.
The original plans, which attracted nearly 260 letters of objection and a petition with more than 1,000 signatures, were unanimously rejected by Stroud District Council’s development control committee in September.
Since then, the developer has submitted an amended application to SDC which it says addresses the reasons for refusal by changing the layout and providing more green spaces.
The Mankley Field Action Group was set up in April last year when the original proposal was submitted for the homes off Bath Road.
At the time, group chairman Diane Odell explained that residents were not against more housing but that the Mankley Field site was the wrong location.
Speaking at the time, she said: “Mankley Field is the green lung between Leonard Stanley and King’s Stanley and by building 150 homes on it we will not only lose our last bit of green space but also our separate village characters.”
Stephen Lydon, who represents the Stanleys on SDC and the Dursley district on Gloucestershire County Council, said he would fight the new application.
“We will leave no stone unturned in trying to stop this proposal and for now we have got to have faith that we will be able to find some good reasons to overturn the recommendation,” he said.
Gladman spokesman Martyn Twigg said: “We are aware of the issues which have been raised by local residents and we believe we have addressed these where possible in the planning application and the supporting information.”
Residents have organised an emergency meeting in Leonard Stanley village hall at 7.30pm tonight, Tuesday, to discuss how to fight the new application.
See stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk for a report.
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group