A 23 year old Stroud man offered to take his stepdad's dog for a walk - but instead took his car for a joyride, a court heard today.

Neil Shadwick was having a drink in a Gloucester pub when his partner's son George King, of Hilltop close, Stroud, came in and joined him.

He pointed out that Mr Shadwick's dog had been in the car outside for an hour and a half and he offered to take it for a walk, said prosecutor Julian Kesner at Gloucester crown court.

Mr Shadwick handed King his car keys so he could get the dog out. But King was then seen on CCTV to get into the 2012 Ford Focus car with two other men and drive away, said Mr Kesner.

King had to reverse backwards and forwards several times to get out of the parking space near the Regal in King's Square, Gloucester, and the vehicle was then seen 'kangarooing,' Mr Kesner said.

Police were alerted and an officer saw King drive out of St Aldate street. A patrol officer put on his blue light to get King to stop but he carried on.

The officer then tried to block King's path with his police car but he drove past on the nearside.

The Escort went along Northgate street into Spread Eagle Street and then it swerved into Market Parade. The area was busy as it was a Bank Holiday weekend and there were a lot of people, cars and taxis around.

"He went over speed bumps an excess speed, hitting the ground. The car then went into Clarence Street and at that point it collided with a Mercedes taxi close to Grosvenor House at the taxi rank.

"The police went to the car and the defendant was trying to climb into the back seat. The airbag had deployed."

King admitted aggravated vehicle taking, having no insurance and driving other than in accordance with his licence.

Mr Kesner said King had previous convictions for assault, cultivation of cannabis and criminal damage.

Andrew Hobson, defending, said "He doesn't know why he did it."

He handed the court a letter from Mr Shadwick, who suffers from Parkinsons Disease, in which he said King had been paying for him to use taxis while his damaged car is off the road.

Judge William Hart told King that his behaviour that night in taking the car and badly damaging it had been 'inexplicable.'

"You have got a problem with drink," he told King.

He sentenced King to six months imprisonment suspended for 15 months with supervision and a 3 months alcohol treatment programme. He also banned him from driving for a year and ordered him to pay costs and a victim surcharge totalling £130.

"This is your last chance and if you come back again you will go to prison," said the judge.