Investigation launched into claims that Jimmy Savile carried out abuse at former children's home in Whitminster
AN investigation has been launched into claims that Jimmy Savile carried out abuse at a former children’s home in Whitminster.
Parklands Children's Home, which opened in the 1950s and closed in 2002, is one of 21 homes and schools being investigated across the country.
The investigation is being carried out by Gloucestershire County Council, which ran the home in School Lane, Whitminster.
Linda Uren, director of children's services at GCC, said: ''The county council will be carrying out a full investigation into the allegations made, working closely with Gloucestershire Police, the Metropolitan Police and the Department of Education.
“We will do everything in our power to find out exactly what happened many years ago, and ensure that everything is being done to keep young people safe from harm today.''
According to the council, the investigation will cover the process for protecting children in Parklands at the time, how they compare to now and is everything being done now to protect our young people.
The investigation will be carried out according to guidance received from the Department of Education and overseen by Lucy Scott-Moncrieff who has been appointed to ensure the quality of the process.
Education Secretary Michael Gove announced this morning, Thursday, that 21 homes and schools in England were being investigated in a written statement to Parliament.
The claims date from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
* Did you work at Parklands Children's Home or have any connection with it? Please contact Kate Wilson at the SNJ on 01453 769414 or email email@example.com in confidence.
The full list of homes being investigated is as follows:
- A children’s home (name unknown) in Bournemouth
- Colletton Lodge in Devon
- The Ride Children’s Home in Hounslow
- Parklands Children’s Home in Gloucestershire
- Sevenoaks School in Kent
- Northways Residential School in Leeds
- Beechcroft Children’s Home in Leeds
- Henshaw School for the Blind in Leeds
- Notre Dame Grammar School in Leeds
- A care home (name unknown) in London Borough of Islington
- Hollies Care Home in London Borough of Southwark
- St Leonard’s Children’s in London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Sarah Laski Home in Manchester
- Broome House Children’s Home in Manchester
- A children’s home (name unknown) in Manchester
- Aspley Wood School in Nottingham
- Bassetlaw School in Nottinghamshire
- National Children’s Home in Oxfordshire
- Beach Holme Children’s Home in Surrey
- Broomfield Children’s Home in Surrey
- Barnardo’s children’s home (name unknown) in Redbridge
Comments are closed on this article.