Homeopathy Awareness Week

Stroud News and Journal: Homeopathy Awareness Week Homeopathy Awareness Week

DID you know that skin is the largest organ in the body covering about two square metres in total?

Skin plays a vital role in our overall well being, it not only protects us, keeps us warm, helps us to cool down and allows us to interact with the world, but it also shows how healthy we are on the inside.

Homeopathy is a complementary therapy that can be used to help with skin conditions for all the family including psoriasis, eczema, skin tags, acne and dry skin.

Homeopathy Awareness Week, from June 14-21, will this year focus on this popular area and how homeopathy may play a part.

Nailsworth and Stroud based student homeopath Sam Pereira said, “ In the Stroud valleys there is a great interest in holistic healthcare and skin complaints are one of if not the most common problems that patients seek homeopathic consultations for.

Homeopathic philosophy approaches skin disorders in a holistic way, not just looking at the skin symptoms in isolation.

As a student homeopath, working under close supervision with an experienced homeopath, I will not necessarily prescribe topical creams or even homeopathic medicines directed towards skin conditions alone but instead I will spend a great deal of time exploring all aspects of an individual looking at how the body is functioning as a whole, including the impact of physical and emotional stress on the skin.

Prescriptions are tailored to each individual patient according to their specific symptoms."

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:06pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Anonymous Rex says...

Not sure I can fit this in between my Voodoo and Trepanning? Oh, what to do? What to do?
Not sure I can fit this in between my Voodoo and Trepanning? Oh, what to do? What to do? Anonymous Rex
  • Score: 23

5:39pm Wed 18 Jun 14

kjag23 says...

We should all indeed be aware that Homeopathy is 100% codswallop with absolutely no scientific or clinical backing.

Seriously, see a proper doctor, promoting this stuff is dangerous.
We should all indeed be aware that Homeopathy is 100% codswallop with absolutely no scientific or clinical backing. Seriously, see a proper doctor, promoting this stuff is dangerous. kjag23
  • Score: 23

8:40pm Wed 18 Jun 14

fighting4homeopathy says...

My own experience with homeopathy has only been positive for myself, our family and our pets for the past 27 years. I have a family homeopath and a homeopathic first aid kit for acute non-life threatening conditions on many occasions. The homeopathic remedy Belladonna (in my first aid kit) helped alleviate a toothache and swelling from an abscessed tooth over a weekend when my dentist was unavailable.

In addition, homeopathic Sulphur cured two cases of conventionally treated mange in a dog of my husband's aunt and another dog belonging to one of my friends.

Two family members with broken bones (hairline and compound fracture) were facing surgery to repair because of slow healing with casting alone. Homeopathic Symphytum hastened the healing of the breaks and both family members were able to avoid surgery. Before and after x-rays and ultrasound documented the healings in both cases.

Our family homeopath prescribed a remedy that helped my husband avoid back surgery for two herniated discs at the L4 and L5 level. The herniated discs were documented by both x-ray and ultrasound both before and after treatment. He had been in excruciating pain and for six months could only walk using a cane.

Several years ago my cholesterol level was off the charts. After viewing the lab report, my homeopath prescribed a remedy and on repeated lab testing a month later, my cholesterol was within normal limits. It has remained normal since that time. I took no other medication and no dietary change was necessary.

A few doses of homeopathic Silicea over a two week period of time opened and helped drain a lipoma the size of a golf ball from one of our dog’s right shoulder. No surgery, stitches or antibiotics were needed and there is no residual scar. Even on an outpatient basis, the surgery local anesthesia, bandaging and antibiotics would most likely have cost well over a few hundred dollars.

And, living in Florida where fleas on pets is a huge problem, I have used homeopathic Ruta graveolens in all my dogs' water dishes for the past five years. The use of Ruta to deter fleas was mentioned in the book “Homoeopathy for Farm and Garden” by Vaikunthanath Kaviraj. There is another homeopathic preparation to address the flea problem in pets here in the United States. It is called “Flea Relief.” I believe it is sold on Amazon.
My own experience with homeopathy has only been positive for myself, our family and our pets for the past 27 years. I have a family homeopath and a homeopathic first aid kit for acute non-life threatening conditions on many occasions. The homeopathic remedy Belladonna (in my first aid kit) helped alleviate a toothache and swelling from an abscessed tooth over a weekend when my dentist was unavailable. In addition, homeopathic Sulphur cured two cases of conventionally treated mange in a dog of my husband's aunt and another dog belonging to one of my friends. Two family members with broken bones (hairline and compound fracture) were facing surgery to repair because of slow healing with casting alone. Homeopathic Symphytum hastened the healing of the breaks and both family members were able to avoid surgery. Before and after x-rays and ultrasound documented the healings in both cases. Our family homeopath prescribed a remedy that helped my husband avoid back surgery for two herniated discs at the L4 and L5 level. The herniated discs were documented by both x-ray and ultrasound both before and after treatment. He had been in excruciating pain and for six months could only walk using a cane. Several years ago my cholesterol level was off the charts. After viewing the lab report, my homeopath prescribed a remedy and on repeated lab testing a month later, my cholesterol was within normal limits. It has remained normal since that time. I took no other medication and no dietary change was necessary. A few doses of homeopathic Silicea over a two week period of time opened and helped drain a lipoma the size of a golf ball from one of our dog’s right shoulder. No surgery, stitches or antibiotics were needed and there is no residual scar. Even on an outpatient basis, the surgery local anesthesia, bandaging and antibiotics would most likely have cost well over a few hundred dollars. And, living in Florida where fleas on pets is a huge problem, I have used homeopathic Ruta graveolens in all my dogs' water dishes for the past five years. The use of Ruta to deter fleas was mentioned in the book “Homoeopathy for Farm and Garden” by Vaikunthanath Kaviraj. There is another homeopathic preparation to address the flea problem in pets here in the United States. It is called “Flea Relief.” I believe it is sold on Amazon. fighting4homeopathy
  • Score: -25

8:57pm Wed 18 Jun 14

lauriej1 says...

You simply can't fail to benefit from learning more about Homeopathy and incorporating it in your medicine cabinet for first aid and acute conditions. Chronic issues, like eczema and psoriasis are signs of deeper problems and need to be treated by a professional Homeopath. It is capable of curing, whereas pharma drugs can only temporarily suppress symptoms.
You simply can't fail to benefit from learning more about Homeopathy and incorporating it in your medicine cabinet for first aid and acute conditions. Chronic issues, like eczema and psoriasis are signs of deeper problems and need to be treated by a professional Homeopath. It is capable of curing, whereas pharma drugs can only temporarily suppress symptoms. lauriej1
  • Score: -27

9:39pm Wed 18 Jun 14

martinfe says...

Homeopathy is pretend "medicine" that can be effective for imagined illnesses, as well as those conditions that will eventually resolve by doing nothing. It is entirely based on magical thinking and prescientific dogma.
Homeopathy is pretend "medicine" that can be effective for imagined illnesses, as well as those conditions that will eventually resolve by doing nothing. It is entirely based on magical thinking and prescientific dogma. martinfe
  • Score: 25

10:00pm Wed 18 Jun 14

kjag23 says...

Again I note: there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that homeopathy works.
At such super-dilutions it's rare that you'll even find one single molecule of the initial solution in each bottle. The 'water memory' that homeopaths claim works its magic survives in solutions for mere fractions of a second (to be precise, 0.000 000 000 001second).

Homeopathy is a scam, conning money out of innocent and well meaning people for nothing more than sugar pills.
If you find me a peer reviewed, accredited and properly conducted study that proves he effectiveness of even one homeopathic 'remedy', maybe I will change my mind.
Again I note: there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that homeopathy works. At such super-dilutions it's rare that you'll even find one single molecule of the initial solution in each bottle. The 'water memory' that homeopaths claim works its magic survives in solutions for mere fractions of a second (to be precise, 0.000 000 000 001second). Homeopathy is a scam, conning money out of innocent and well meaning people for nothing more than sugar pills. If you find me a peer reviewed, accredited and properly conducted study that proves he effectiveness of even one homeopathic 'remedy', maybe I will change my mind. kjag23
  • Score: 28

11:03pm Wed 18 Jun 14

lauriej1 says...

"Up to the end of year 2010, there have been 318 studies published in 124 medical journals including 11 meta-analysis, 8 systematic reviews including 1 cochrane review (out of approximately 20 systematic reviews published) and 93 RCT (83 DBRPCT + 7 DBRCT + 3 RCT) out of approx 225 RCT published) in evidence of homoeopathy to produce significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions."
http://drnancymalik.
wordpress.com/articl
e/scientific-researc
h-in-homeopathy/
So much for organized skeptic trolls posting their usual anti-homeopathy nonsense.
"Up to the end of year 2010, there have been 318 studies published in 124 medical journals including 11 meta-analysis, 8 systematic reviews including 1 cochrane review (out of approximately 20 systematic reviews published) and 93 RCT (83 DBRPCT + 7 DBRCT + 3 RCT) out of approx 225 RCT published) in evidence of homoeopathy to produce significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions." http://drnancymalik. wordpress.com/articl e/scientific-researc h-in-homeopathy/ So much for organized skeptic trolls posting their usual anti-homeopathy nonsense. lauriej1
  • Score: -21

11:27pm Wed 18 Jun 14

fighting4homeopathy says...

Some people will never understand how homeopathy works because they have never sought treatment from a homeopath. It is one thing to try something, then discard it. But, to discard the fact that homeopathy has been proven effective by millions of people (circumstantial evidence) world-wide for over 250 years makes no sense. The physicians, dentists and veterinarians that add homeopathy to their practices, are they un-educated amoralistic charlatans? I think not. Homeopathy will survive these continued attacks, as it has before. Formerly known as “the medicine of Kings”, homeopathy has now become “medicine for the common man.” Conventional medicine should embrace homeopathy and add it to their practices; not for the benefit to their large bank accounts, but for the good of their patients.
Some people will never understand how homeopathy works because they have never sought treatment from a homeopath. It is one thing to try something, then discard it. But, to discard the fact that homeopathy has been proven effective by millions of people (circumstantial evidence) world-wide for over 250 years makes no sense. The physicians, dentists and veterinarians that add homeopathy to their practices, are they un-educated amoralistic charlatans? I think not. Homeopathy will survive these continued attacks, as it has before. Formerly known as “the medicine of Kings”, homeopathy has now become “medicine for the common man.” Conventional medicine should embrace homeopathy and add it to their practices; not for the benefit to their large bank accounts, but for the good of their patients. fighting4homeopathy
  • Score: -19

11:38pm Wed 18 Jun 14

martinfe says...

homeopathy has never been known as "the medicine of kings", outside of your own blog that is. But, that's how homeopathy works isn't it, you just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it.
homeopathy has never been known as "the medicine of kings", outside of your own blog that is. But, that's how homeopathy works isn't it, you just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it. martinfe
  • Score: 20

11:43pm Wed 18 Jun 14

ChristyRedd says...

kjag23 wrote:
Again I note: there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that homeopathy works.
At such super-dilutions it's rare that you'll even find one single molecule of the initial solution in each bottle. The 'water memory' that homeopaths claim works its magic survives in solutions for mere fractions of a second (to be precise, 0.000 000 000 001second).

Homeopathy is a scam, conning money out of innocent and well meaning people for nothing more than sugar pills.
If you find me a peer reviewed, accredited and properly conducted study that proves he effectiveness of even one homeopathic 'remedy', maybe I will change my mind.
If, as you claim, homeopathy is a "scam", please explain:

Why 92% of the doctors working for the German national league football teams use it to treat their players.

Why the WHO recognizes it as the second most used system of medicine in the world today with 500 million users. BTW, TCM is first and conventional medicine in third.

Why there are thousands of universities or medical colleges teaching it.

Why its half-million practitioners -- most of whom are M.D.'s -- invested themselves in an additional 3 -4 years of training in order to practice it.

Why the governments of 20 countries recognize homeopathy as a system of medicine or a medical specialty and/or include it in their national health care programs.

Why there are hundreds of studies published in 124 respected, national and international peer-reviewed journals showing it produces significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions.
[quote][p][bold]kjag23[/bold] wrote: Again I note: there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that homeopathy works. At such super-dilutions it's rare that you'll even find one single molecule of the initial solution in each bottle. The 'water memory' that homeopaths claim works its magic survives in solutions for mere fractions of a second (to be precise, 0.000 000 000 001second). Homeopathy is a scam, conning money out of innocent and well meaning people for nothing more than sugar pills. If you find me a peer reviewed, accredited and properly conducted study that proves he effectiveness of even one homeopathic 'remedy', maybe I will change my mind.[/p][/quote]If, as you claim, homeopathy is a "scam", please explain: Why 92% of the doctors working for the German national league football teams use it to treat their players. Why the WHO recognizes it as the second most used system of medicine in the world today with 500 million users. BTW, TCM is first and conventional medicine in third. Why there are thousands of universities or medical colleges teaching it. Why its half-million practitioners -- most of whom are M.D.'s -- invested themselves in an additional 3 -4 years of training in order to practice it. Why the governments of 20 countries recognize homeopathy as a system of medicine or a medical specialty and/or include it in their national health care programs. Why there are hundreds of studies published in 124 respected, national and international peer-reviewed journals showing it produces significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions. ChristyRedd
  • Score: -23

11:49pm Wed 18 Jun 14

ChristyRedd says...

kjag23 wrote:
We should all indeed be aware that Homeopathy is 100% codswallop with absolutely no scientific or clinical backing.

Seriously, see a proper doctor, promoting this stuff is dangerous.
If homeopathy has no clinical backing, please explain the 25,000 volumes of cured case records resulting from its clinical use in hundreds of millions of people over the past 200+ years. Google "homeopathy cured cases", read the hundreds of contemporary case records of cures of conditions from cancer to psychogenic diabetes mellitus to addiction to Rx drugs to coma and explain these documented case records.

If homeopathy has no scientific backing, please explain the hundreds of studies published in 124 peer-reviewed journals showing homeopathy produces significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions. You can find those studies by doing a little research here on the internet.
[quote][p][bold]kjag23[/bold] wrote: We should all indeed be aware that Homeopathy is 100% codswallop with absolutely no scientific or clinical backing. Seriously, see a proper doctor, promoting this stuff is dangerous.[/p][/quote]If homeopathy has no clinical backing, please explain the 25,000 volumes of cured case records resulting from its clinical use in hundreds of millions of people over the past 200+ years. Google "homeopathy cured cases", read the hundreds of contemporary case records of cures of conditions from cancer to psychogenic diabetes mellitus to addiction to Rx drugs to coma and explain these documented case records. If homeopathy has no scientific backing, please explain the hundreds of studies published in 124 peer-reviewed journals showing homeopathy produces significant to substantial health benefits in a wide array of conditions. You can find those studies by doing a little research here on the internet. ChristyRedd
  • Score: -16

12:04am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

...by all means, google homeopathy, and you will find that there is no robust scientific evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. In a 200 year history, 25000 cases of people whose complaints got better by virtue of a good talk and otherwise effectively doing nothing, doesn't seem like such a high number. A lot of ailments go away by ignoring them and doing nothing....ask any man near you.
...by all means, google homeopathy, and you will find that there is no robust scientific evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. In a 200 year history, 25000 cases of people whose complaints got better by virtue of a good talk and otherwise effectively doing nothing, doesn't seem like such a high number. A lot of ailments go away by ignoring them and doing nothing....ask any man near you. martinfe
  • Score: 17

12:17am Thu 19 Jun 14

ChristyRedd says...

martinfe wrote:
homeopathy has never been known as "the medicine of kings", outside of your own blog that is. But, that's how homeopathy works isn't it, you just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it.
".....just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it." That's exactly what "skeptics" do.

There are about 2,000 "skeptics" worldwide. In the U.S. they're the followers of James Randi, a magician and a high school drop out with no medical or scientific expertise whatsoever. In the UK, they're members of Sense About Science, an organization that's financially supported by drug companies and their associated associations. Compare that to 500 million satisfied homeopathic patients. No contest is there?
[quote][p][bold]martinfe[/bold] wrote: homeopathy has never been known as "the medicine of kings", outside of your own blog that is. But, that's how homeopathy works isn't it, you just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it.[/p][/quote]".....just make something up and repeat it often enough until you believe it." That's exactly what "skeptics" do. There are about 2,000 "skeptics" worldwide. In the U.S. they're the followers of James Randi, a magician and a high school drop out with no medical or scientific expertise whatsoever. In the UK, they're members of Sense About Science, an organization that's financially supported by drug companies and their associated associations. Compare that to 500 million satisfied homeopathic patients. No contest is there? ChristyRedd
  • Score: -18

12:27am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

Of course, at one point there were millions and millions of satisfied fascists in Europe....but that doesn't mean that fascism is a good idea. This is beside the fact that you totally made up both those numbers. So let see, you pull a number out of your a**e and I'll pull a number out of my (firmer and better looking) a**e. No contest, is there?
Of course, at one point there were millions and millions of satisfied fascists in Europe....but that doesn't mean that fascism is a good idea. This is beside the fact that you totally made up both those numbers. So let see, you pull a number out of your a**e and I'll pull a number out of my (firmer and better looking) a**e. No contest, is there? martinfe
  • Score: 15

12:50am Thu 19 Jun 14

lauriej1 says...

Skeptic cult members manufacture arguments that not only have no substance, but no substantiation either. They never seem to be able to back up their case with facts.
Opinions from people who perform no research, have no responsibility for patient outcomes and no practical experience or actual knowledge of any form of medicine are a farce.
The practise of Homeopathy is growing at a rate of 30% worldwide annually. It is the 2nd most utilized form of medicine worldwide while con med is 3rd!
Skeptic cult members manufacture arguments that not only have no substance, but no substantiation either. They never seem to be able to back up their case with facts. Opinions from people who perform no research, have no responsibility for patient outcomes and no practical experience or actual knowledge of any form of medicine are a farce. The practise of Homeopathy is growing at a rate of 30% worldwide annually. It is the 2nd most utilized form of medicine worldwide while con med is 3rd! lauriej1
  • Score: -19

12:59am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

Yes Laurie, those are words. They don't seem to make any sense in the contest, maybe you might have skipped a line or two in your usual cut-and-paste posting?

You've been saying that 30% nonsense for several years now, but somehow the number of satisfied homeopathy patients remains a stable 500 million. Is that homeopathic math or do 30% of homeopathy patients die every year, of negligence perhaps?
Yes Laurie, those are words. They don't seem to make any sense in the contest, maybe you might have skipped a line or two in your usual cut-and-paste posting? You've been saying that 30% nonsense for several years now, but somehow the number of satisfied homeopathy patients remains a stable 500 million. Is that homeopathic math or do 30% of homeopathy patients die every year, of negligence perhaps? martinfe
  • Score: 15

1:02am Thu 19 Jun 14

fighting4homeopathy says...

Fortunately, history continues to validate the fact that homeopathy skeptics are still not having any significant effect. The body of circumstantial evidence by millions in at least 80 countries has 'convicted' homeopathy of curing disease that conventional medicine cannot. In realty, the 'debate' of homeopathy vs conventional medicine was over decades ago. Homeopathy won. It is now a question of how much money will it take for the drug companies to make health care consumers believe their hype. It's not about safe, inexpensive and curative health care. It's about money.
Fortunately, history continues to validate the fact that homeopathy skeptics are still not having any significant effect. The body of circumstantial evidence by millions in at least 80 countries has 'convicted' homeopathy of curing disease that conventional medicine cannot. In realty, the 'debate' of homeopathy vs conventional medicine was over decades ago. Homeopathy won. It is now a question of how much money will it take for the drug companies to make health care consumers believe their hype. It's not about safe, inexpensive and curative health care. It's about money. fighting4homeopathy
  • Score: -19

1:04am Thu 19 Jun 14

fighting4homeopathy says...

lauriej1 wrote:
Skeptic cult members manufacture arguments that not only have no substance, but no substantiation either. They never seem to be able to back up their case with facts.
Opinions from people who perform no research, have no responsibility for patient outcomes and no practical experience or actual knowledge of any form of medicine are a farce.
The practise of Homeopathy is growing at a rate of 30% worldwide annually. It is the 2nd most utilized form of medicine worldwide while con med is 3rd!
One of the most dramatic accounts of the effectiveness of a single homeopathic remedy concerns a friend of mine who had a colicky baby, 6 months without relief on conventional medicines. I recommended she consult our family homeopath who lived 400 miles from my friend’s home. The child screamed in pain the entire way and the trip was more difficult because of a flat tire along the way. Upon arrival at the homeopath’s home, my friend was told to place the boy on a small table. As he was still crying loudly, it was easy to drop a few pellets of Dioscorea villosa in his mouth. Within seconds the child stopped crying and a huge smile appeared instead. The return trip home was a delight and the little boy had no further episodes!

This type of response to a homeopathic remedy (and there are so many more) is why homeopathy has survived the attacks by its skeptics for over 250 years.
[quote][p][bold]lauriej1[/bold] wrote: Skeptic cult members manufacture arguments that not only have no substance, but no substantiation either. They never seem to be able to back up their case with facts. Opinions from people who perform no research, have no responsibility for patient outcomes and no practical experience or actual knowledge of any form of medicine are a farce. The practise of Homeopathy is growing at a rate of 30% worldwide annually. It is the 2nd most utilized form of medicine worldwide while con med is 3rd![/p][/quote]One of the most dramatic accounts of the effectiveness of a single homeopathic remedy concerns a friend of mine who had a colicky baby, 6 months without relief on conventional medicines. I recommended she consult our family homeopath who lived 400 miles from my friend’s home. The child screamed in pain the entire way and the trip was more difficult because of a flat tire along the way. Upon arrival at the homeopath’s home, my friend was told to place the boy on a small table. As he was still crying loudly, it was easy to drop a few pellets of Dioscorea villosa in his mouth. Within seconds the child stopped crying and a huge smile appeared instead. The return trip home was a delight and the little boy had no further episodes! This type of response to a homeopathic remedy (and there are so many more) is why homeopathy has survived the attacks by its skeptics for over 250 years. fighting4homeopathy
  • Score: -21

1:18am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy.

By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/
That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy. By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/ martinfe
  • Score: 18

1:18am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy.

By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/
That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy. By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/ martinfe
  • Score: 12

1:41am Thu 19 Jun 14

kjag23 says...

Wow.
I can't believe this.
"Imagine how stupid the average person is, then know that half of them are stupider than that".
I weep for humanity when I people claim that being skeptical of homeopathy is 'nonsense'.
Quote: Homeopathy is a pseudoscience and its effects are no more than those of placebo. Outside of the Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) community, scientists have long considered homeopathy a sham, and the mainstream medical community regards it as quackery.
In fact, just googling homeopathy and a "suggested search term" was pseudoscience!

Your chosen links are from a pro-homeopathy blog, obviously very biased, and many of the studies linked are again conducted by pro-homeopathy groups with small trial (mostly n
Wow. I can't believe this. "Imagine how stupid the average person is, then know that half of them are stupider than that". I weep for humanity when I people claim that being skeptical of homeopathy is 'nonsense'. Quote: Homeopathy is a pseudoscience and its effects are no more than those of placebo. Outside of the Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) community, scientists have long considered homeopathy a sham, and the mainstream medical community regards it as quackery. In fact, just googling homeopathy and a "suggested search term" was pseudoscience! Your chosen links are from a pro-homeopathy blog, obviously very biased, and many of the studies linked are again conducted by pro-homeopathy groups with small trial (mostly n kjag23
  • Score: 17

3:21am Thu 19 Jun 14

ChristyRedd says...

martinfe wrote:
...by all means, google homeopathy, and you will find that there is no robust scientific evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. In a 200 year history, 25000 cases of people whose complaints got better by virtue of a good talk and otherwise effectively doing nothing, doesn't seem like such a high number. A lot of ailments go away by ignoring them and doing nothing....ask any man near you.
Cures of cancer, type 2 diabetes, addiction to Rx drugs, coma, gangrene, asthma, allergies and high blood pressure are just some of the chronic diseases discussed in those cured case records. None of these conditions just disappears "by virtue of a good talk" or "doing nothing". Making such a claim demonstrates that "skeptics" lack common sense in general along with a knowledge of medicine and homeopathy.

A great deal of scientific evidence has already been presented here, but you prefer to ignore it. People interested in good medicine will definitely take the time to look at that evidence and come to their own conclusions about it. Today's health care consumer is educated and investigates the options available to them. They don't have to take my word for what the evidence shows, and they don't have to accept your vague interpretations of it.
[quote][p][bold]martinfe[/bold] wrote: ...by all means, google homeopathy, and you will find that there is no robust scientific evidence that homeopathy has any effect beyond placebo. In a 200 year history, 25000 cases of people whose complaints got better by virtue of a good talk and otherwise effectively doing nothing, doesn't seem like such a high number. A lot of ailments go away by ignoring them and doing nothing....ask any man near you.[/p][/quote]Cures of cancer, type 2 diabetes, addiction to Rx drugs, coma, gangrene, asthma, allergies and high blood pressure are just some of the chronic diseases discussed in those cured case records. None of these conditions just disappears "by virtue of a good talk" or "doing nothing". Making such a claim demonstrates that "skeptics" lack common sense in general along with a knowledge of medicine and homeopathy. A great deal of scientific evidence has already been presented here, but you prefer to ignore it. People interested in good medicine will definitely take the time to look at that evidence and come to their own conclusions about it. Today's health care consumer is educated and investigates the options available to them. They don't have to take my word for what the evidence shows, and they don't have to accept your vague interpretations of it. ChristyRedd
  • Score: -16

5:39am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

Any disease might go into spontaneus remission, may have never been present, may have been misdiagnosed in the first place. Even if you take a case report by its word, there is no telling what has cured the complaint, (maybe prayer, as millions of Christian Scientists would claim.) But of course there are no case reports for all the millions of cases where no miraculous cure occurred. (As a homeopath yourself, please point me to the case reports of unsuccessful cases you have written) Claiming that homeopathy cures any of these diseases is being untruthful, and criminal in some jurisdictions. But you know that allready Christy, as usual, all you do is present a list of cases and call it "presenting scientific evidence". This is fraudulent, but it seems to be the modus operandi of homeopathy.
Any disease might go into spontaneus remission, may have never been present, may have been misdiagnosed in the first place. Even if you take a case report by its word, there is no telling what has cured the complaint, (maybe prayer, as millions of Christian Scientists would claim.) But of course there are no case reports for all the millions of cases where no miraculous cure occurred. (As a homeopath yourself, please point me to the case reports of unsuccessful cases you have written) Claiming that homeopathy cures any of these diseases is being untruthful, and criminal in some jurisdictions. But you know that allready Christy, as usual, all you do is present a list of cases and call it "presenting scientific evidence". This is fraudulent, but it seems to be the modus operandi of homeopathy. martinfe
  • Score: 16

5:51am Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

Wait, correction, you are not a homeopath, are you? I'm afraid I gave you more credit than you deserve. Sorry about that, my mistake.
Wait, correction, you are not a homeopath, are you? I'm afraid I gave you more credit than you deserve. Sorry about that, my mistake. martinfe
  • Score: 11

9:40am Thu 19 Jun 14

TigerTigerBurningBright says...

The busiest comment section on the SNJ ever. Wow!

and a new poster dares to say "So much for organized skeptic trolls posting their usual anti-homeopathy nonsense." (with suspicious Americanized spelling).

Hypocritical idiots dashing round the internet posting as much pro-homeopathetic nonsense as possible, more like.

Homeopathy works through the placebo effect. We don't see organised groups trolling for Placebothy though. That would be silly. And wouldn't make any money.
The busiest comment section on the SNJ ever. Wow! and a new poster dares to say "So much for organized skeptic trolls posting their usual anti-homeopathy nonsense." (with suspicious Americanized spelling). Hypocritical idiots dashing round the internet posting as much pro-homeopathetic nonsense as possible, more like. Homeopathy works through the placebo effect. We don't see organised groups trolling for Placebothy though. That would be silly. And wouldn't make any money. TigerTigerBurningBright
  • Score: 16

11:50am Thu 19 Jun 14

fighting4homeopathy says...

martinfe wrote:
That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy.

By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/
Try using that same logic with the medical societies of all of the countries worldwide that support homeopathy. Start with France, then Germany....
[quote][p][bold]martinfe[/bold] wrote: That's your problem isn't it? Since you have no evidence to show the effectiveness of homeopathy you need to come up with a boogeyman who works in mysterious ways to keep homeopathy down. In reality, it is the lack of evidence that has led to the dramatic decline in the use of homeopathy. By the way, how cruel to subject a colicky infant to a 800 mile round trip, the poor child probably just cried herself tired/[/p][/quote]Try using that same logic with the medical societies of all of the countries worldwide that support homeopathy. Start with France, then Germany.... fighting4homeopathy
  • Score: -21

12:02pm Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

How about you try not regurgitating your own tired arguments all the time. If you consider homeopathy organisations "medical societies", it shouldn't surprise that they would support their own quackery. Other than that, there is no actual medical body in any of those countries who will claim an evidence base for homeopathy. Remember how excited you got e few weeks ago when you thought Belgium had officially recognised homeopathy? Turns out they have intentionally regulated it out of existence and now you are joining the effort of raising founds for those poor Belgian homeopaths who can't prove that homeopathy can cure anything either. So if I were you I would stop pointing fingers at other countries, they might go and "recognise" homeopathy too.
How about you try not regurgitating your own tired arguments all the time. If you consider homeopathy organisations "medical societies", it shouldn't surprise that they would support their own quackery. Other than that, there is no actual medical body in any of those countries who will claim an evidence base for homeopathy. Remember how excited you got e few weeks ago when you thought Belgium had officially recognised homeopathy? Turns out they have intentionally regulated it out of existence and now you are joining the effort of raising founds for those poor Belgian homeopaths who can't prove that homeopathy can cure anything either. So if I were you I would stop pointing fingers at other countries, they might go and "recognise" homeopathy too. martinfe
  • Score: 17

12:29pm Thu 19 Jun 14

kjag23 says...

Good news everybody!
I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy.
Please just take a few minutes to check it out:

http://www.howdoesho
meopathywork.com/
Good news everybody! I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy. Please just take a few minutes to check it out: http://www.howdoesho meopathywork.com/ kjag23
  • Score: 18

3:10pm Thu 19 Jun 14

ChristyRedd says...

kjag23 wrote:
Good news everybody!
I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy.
Please just take a few minutes to check it out:

http://www.howdoesho

meopathywork.com/
That's a "skeptic" site written by "skeptics" for the purpose of providing misinformation for other "skeptics" to reference as if it were legitimate material.

People who are interested in learning more about homeopathy would do best to go to sites authored by recognized authorities in the field like:

http://www.homeopath
ycenter.org/getting-
started-homeopathy
http://www.extraordi
narymedicine.org
http://www.wiki4cam.
org/wiki/Homeopathy
http://hpathy.com
[quote][p][bold]kjag23[/bold] wrote: Good news everybody! I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy. Please just take a few minutes to check it out: http://www.howdoesho meopathywork.com/[/p][/quote]That's a "skeptic" site written by "skeptics" for the purpose of providing misinformation for other "skeptics" to reference as if it were legitimate material. People who are interested in learning more about homeopathy would do best to go to sites authored by recognized authorities in the field like: http://www.homeopath ycenter.org/getting- started-homeopathy http://www.extraordi narymedicine.org http://www.wiki4cam. org/wiki/Homeopathy http://hpathy.com ChristyRedd
  • Score: -19

3:31pm Thu 19 Jun 14

kjag23 says...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

I'm out.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” I'm out. kjag23
  • Score: 18

3:35pm Thu 19 Jun 14

martinfe says...

ChristyRedd wrote:
kjag23 wrote:
Good news everybody!
I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy.
Please just take a few minutes to check it out:

http://www.howdoesho


meopathywork.com/
That's a "skeptic" site written by "skeptics" for the purpose of providing misinformation for other "skeptics" to reference as if it were legitimate material.

People who are interested in learning more about homeopathy would do best to go to sites authored by recognized authorities in the field like:

http://www.homeopath

ycenter.org/getting-

started-homeopathy
http://www.extraordi

narymedicine.org
http://www.wiki4cam.

org/wiki/Homeopathy
http://hpathy.com
Nice try Christy! Sending people to homeopathy propaganda sites for some kool-aid.

There are plenty of independent sources out there to learn about homeopathy. Sometimes they may be difficult to find among the masses of homeopathic proselytising, which puts even Jehova's Witnesses to shame.
So if you feel overwhelmed here is another idea, ask someone who has a vested (financial) interest in your health - your health insurance provider. They may cover homeopathic treatments (it's a cheap enough "perk" to get the business of the gullible), but they will tell you in no uncertain terms how effective it is (clue: "For entertainment purposes only.")
[quote][p][bold]ChristyRedd[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kjag23[/bold] wrote: Good news everybody! I've found a fantastic website with a very comprehensive review of homeopathy. Please just take a few minutes to check it out: http://www.howdoesho meopathywork.com/[/p][/quote]That's a "skeptic" site written by "skeptics" for the purpose of providing misinformation for other "skeptics" to reference as if it were legitimate material. People who are interested in learning more about homeopathy would do best to go to sites authored by recognized authorities in the field like: http://www.homeopath ycenter.org/getting- started-homeopathy http://www.extraordi narymedicine.org http://www.wiki4cam. org/wiki/Homeopathy http://hpathy.com[/p][/quote]Nice try Christy! Sending people to homeopathy propaganda sites for some kool-aid. There are plenty of independent sources out there to learn about homeopathy. Sometimes they may be difficult to find among the masses of homeopathic proselytising, which puts even Jehova's Witnesses to shame. So if you feel overwhelmed here is another idea, ask someone who has a vested (financial) interest in your health - your health insurance provider. They may cover homeopathic treatments (it's a cheap enough "perk" to get the business of the gullible), but they will tell you in no uncertain terms how effective it is (clue: "For entertainment purposes only.") martinfe
  • Score: 15

4:28pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Bridon says...

How credible & honest is NOT Dr Nancy Malik?

Critical assessment of all that scientific evidence for homeopathy conveniently provided by Nancy Malik - she's not a doctor
http://xtaldave.word
press.com/2010/10/02
/scientific-evidence
-for-homeopathy-2/

Hmmm, well at least she has a HONcode certificate on her website.....
http://xtaldave.word
press.com

In summary, no credible, unbiased evidence from Nancy Malik that homeopathy works. Malik demonstrates highly questionable morals & ethics in her online activities . The homeopathic community must be overjoyed to have such a fine, upstanding spoke person.

On a personal note I am disgusted by the unfounded claims homeopathy can be used to treat psoriasis. To claim it does shows a shocking lack of understanding & compassion for the many sufferers of it
How credible & honest is NOT Dr Nancy Malik? Critical assessment of all that scientific evidence for homeopathy conveniently provided by Nancy Malik - she's not a doctor http://xtaldave.word press.com/2010/10/02 /scientific-evidence -for-homeopathy-2/ Hmmm, well at least she has a HONcode certificate on her website..... http://xtaldave.word press.com In summary, no credible, unbiased evidence from Nancy Malik that homeopathy works. Malik demonstrates highly questionable morals & ethics in her online activities . The homeopathic community must be overjoyed to have such a fine, upstanding spoke person. On a personal note I am disgusted by the unfounded claims homeopathy can be used to treat psoriasis. To claim it does shows a shocking lack of understanding & compassion for the many sufferers of it Bridon
  • Score: 15

10:24pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Cuthbert Thickett says...

i would like to add that I am not a skeptic (sic) I was interested in the comments regarding homeopathic treatments being offered in Germany and France so I researched it a little. I found this "insurance requires scientific proof of effectiveness in order to reimburse medical treatments, but exceptions are made for homeopathy"

Why are exceptions needed if this treatment is as effective as the proponents here suggest, I suspect the answer is because there is no evidence other than pychosomatic cures.

I guess each to their own, my granny always took a spoonful of cod liver oil, and a packet of woodbines before bedtime and she lived to be 98!
i would like to add that I am not a skeptic (sic) I was interested in the comments regarding homeopathic treatments being offered in Germany and France so I researched it a little. I found this "insurance requires scientific proof of effectiveness in order to reimburse medical treatments, but exceptions are made for homeopathy" Why are exceptions needed if this treatment is as effective as the proponents here suggest, I suspect the answer is because there is no evidence other than pychosomatic cures. I guess each to their own, my granny always took a spoonful of cod liver oil, and a packet of woodbines before bedtime and she lived to be 98! Cuthbert Thickett
  • Score: 15

12:33am Fri 20 Jun 14

martinfe says...

In Germany using homeopathy has a long tradition, one survey found that 57 percent of Germans had taken some type of homeopathic remedy at some point, That same survey also showed that only a fraction of those users know what homoepathy actually is (only 17% knew about dilution and like-cures-like).
The system of universal healthcare in Germany is provided through several independent health insurance companies which are all competing for the "best" clients. One insurer, the Techniker Krankenkasse, put it quite bluntly, "there is no evidence for homeopathy, but young educated middle class people like it. This demographic rarely gets ill, so we try to win their business by offering them coverage of homeopathy."
In Germany using homeopathy has a long tradition, one survey found that 57 percent of Germans had taken some type of homeopathic remedy at some point, That same survey also showed that only a fraction of those users know what homoepathy actually is (only 17% knew about dilution and like-cures-like). The system of universal healthcare in Germany is provided through several independent health insurance companies which are all competing for the "best" clients. One insurer, the Techniker Krankenkasse, put it quite bluntly, "there is no evidence for homeopathy, but young educated middle class people like it. This demographic rarely gets ill, so we try to win their business by offering them coverage of homeopathy." martinfe
  • Score: 10

2:36pm Fri 20 Jun 14

zomboni says...

I am 'aware' of homeopathy. I am aware that it is a load of old toot.
I am 'aware' of homeopathy. I am aware that it is a load of old toot. zomboni
  • Score: 10

2:56pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Tetenterre says...

Excellent website for Homeopathy Awareness Week:
http://www.homeopath
yawarenessweek.org/

Do have a look: it addresses the Twelve Most Important things you need to know about homeopathy and gives links to sites where you can find reliable *neutral* information.
Excellent website for Homeopathy Awareness Week: http://www.homeopath yawarenessweek.org/ Do have a look: it addresses the Twelve Most Important things you need to know about homeopathy and gives links to sites where you can find reliable *neutral* information. Tetenterre
  • Score: 6

2:57pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Avogadro says...

If anyone is considering homeopathy after reading this please get in contact. I have a lovely bridge in Brooklyn I have for sale, and I also do a great line in bomb detectors that can double up as a golfing aid.
If anyone is considering homeopathy after reading this please get in contact. I have a lovely bridge in Brooklyn I have for sale, and I also do a great line in bomb detectors that can double up as a golfing aid. Avogadro
  • Score: 11

9:46am Wed 25 Jun 14

dimreepr says...

The most disturbing aspect to this story is pseudo-science, given credulity by the mainstream. Statistics suggest every glass of water will contain water that’s past through dinosaurs; what sort of memory will that contain?
The most disturbing aspect to this story is pseudo-science, given credulity by the mainstream. Statistics suggest every glass of water will contain water that’s past through dinosaurs; what sort of memory will that contain? dimreepr
  • Score: 2

1:09pm Wed 25 Jun 14

trickydicky.153 says...

Homeopathy, there's nothing in it.
Homeopathy, there's nothing in it. trickydicky.153
  • Score: 2

8:09am Thu 10 Jul 14

Jaciey says...

I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian.
com/father-of-human-
pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment.
I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian. com/father-of-human- pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment. Jaciey
  • Score: -1

8:11am Thu 10 Jul 14

Jaciey says...

Jaciey wrote:
I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian.

com/father-of-human-

pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment.
I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian.
com/father-of-human-
pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment.
[quote][p][bold]Jaciey[/bold] wrote: I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian. com/father-of-human- pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment.[/p][/quote]I am well aware of the great benefits of Homeopathy. I was successfully treated with homeopathic remedies for nerve pain. Homeopathy is a system of alternative medicine supported by research, see http://adidarwinian. com/father-of-human- pharmacology/ My daughter also always take homeopathic treatment. Jaciey
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree