Nu-Pro fire latest: London Road due to open in the next hour
FIREFIGHTERS are preparing to leave the scene of the Nu-Pro factory fire off London Road, Thrupp as the clean-up work continues.
Fire officers are working with a specialist hazardous material cleansing team to clear a chemical spill caused by the fire yesterday evening at the Eagle Works site.
Shortly, fire crews are expected to check the building for a final time, ensuring that it safe to access and that the fire has been completely extinguished, before handing the premises back to the owner.
The A419 at the junction with London Road, Stroud remains closed and is expected to reopen in the next hour under temporary traffic lights.
Stewart Edgar, Chief Fire Officer for Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Our operations are now starting to wind down and advice to residents is that they are now safe to go about their daily business. This is a large-scale operation and I would like to take this opportunity to thank my firefighters, control staff and support staff for their professionalism, skill and commitment in ensuring the communities of Thrupp and the wider Stroud area were protected yesterday evening and throughout today. They were simply magnificent.
“I would also like to thank our partner agencies including police, ambulance and Environment Agency. Working together with our partners ensure we kept Gloucestershire safe.”
Will Windsor-Clive, cabinet member responsible for community safety, said: “This is a fantastic example of how a number of agencies can work together to keep the community safe from harm. I am particularly proud of the work demonstrated by our fire fighters during the incident.”
Fire crews arrived at the incident just before 8.30pm last night. A total of fifteen fire engines and one aerial vehicle attended during the evening.
The industrial building, later confirmed as aerospace company, Nu-Pro was well alight for some time. Around 60 firefighters used eight jets and 12 breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Due to chemicals that were thought to be contained in the building neighbouring units were evacuated and local residents were encouraged to stay indoors and keep their windows closed.
Public Health England is advising anyone affected by the smoke or concerned about its impact on their health to call NHS 111.