FOREST Green boss Ady Pennock cut a frustrated figure as the lights went out at the New Lawn.

A section of the lights failed on the main stand side of the ground on the half-hour mark of his side’s thrilling match against Grimsby, forcing the players to retreat to the dressing room with the scoreline locked at 1-1.

The players returned within 10 minutes, but 30 seconds after the game re-started the lights went again and the match referee abandoned the game.

Pennock said: “The players and myself are disappointed as it was a good game between two good teams.

“The Grimsby fans had come along way and they had to be taken into consideration, but obviously the game was called off because of the lights. The ref was also concerned about the pitch with the rain non-stop, but  I am frustrated because we seem to be so stop-start at the moment with games being rained off and now this issue this evening.”

Earlier, play-off chasing Grimsby had raced into a seventh-minute lead when Ross Hannah raced past Ed Asafu-Adjaye on the right and sent over a low cross for Lenell John-Lewis to thump past Sam Russell.

Pennock was unhappy with the goal  his side leaked as his  defence opened up  like a knife through butter.

However, Rovers’ riposte was immediate. Four minutes later veteran Lee Hughes held off his marker for James Norwood to rifle home from 20 yards for his 10th goal of the season.

It was end-to-end stuff. Rovers survived a scare when Aswad Thomas stepped on the gas and fed John-Lewis, who shot over.

Rovers rallied, Marcus Kelly fizzed over from distance and then a Jerome Binnom-Williams cross was headed over with Reece Styche racing in.

Russell blocked at the feet of Scott Neilson and the ball broke for John-Lewis, who sliced wide of an open goal.

Meanwhile, left-back Chris Stokes has resumed  light-training with the squad. Elsewhere,  the loan of talented defender Jerome Binnom Williams is expected to be extended. Pennock is set to contact  boss Tony Pulis at his parent club Crystal Palace, today.

League One leaders Brentford are still keen on centre-back Eddie Oshodi, who played for Rovers last night, after spending a week on  trial at Griffin Park.