Boss Ady Pennock insists new signing Jason Walker turned down a lucrative offer to sign for Forest Green.

Walker has penned a deal until the end of the season after the former York City striker returned to the UK from a six- month sojourn in Swedish football.

The 29-year-old forward has been registered with the Football Conference and will be available to play Saturday, pending international clearance.

Pennock said: “Jason was offered more money to go elsewhere and the ball is in his court to earn a new contract for next season. That’s the kind of attitude we want and I’m really looking forward to working with him.

 “Jason brings something different to the table, he’s got good touch and awareness, he knows where the goal is and just needs to get match fit."

Walker won promotion from the Football Conference with York in 2011-12 after setting up the Minstermen’s winning goals in both the Play-off Semi-Final and Final.

Born in Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria, the striker spent his Youth at Dundee FC before beginning his professional career in the third level of Scottish football with Greenock Morton.

After three seasons in Scotland, Walker headed back south of the border with a move to Morcombe before signing for his home town club Barrow – where he began to make a name for himself with the winning goal in the 2010 FA Trophy final against Stevenage Borough.

After almost four years and 50 goals at Barrow, Walker earned a move to Luton Town in January 2011 (following an initial loan spell) but stayed only until the end of the season after the Hatters Play-off Final loss to AFC Wimbledon.

A £60,000 move to York proved more successful, with Walker bagging 18 league goals and nine assists in helping the Minstermen collect both the FA Trophy and just a week later, promotion to League Two through the Play-offs, against his old club Luton.

Walker scored nine times for York in League Two last season, before leaving for Sweden in the summer where he played 11 times for Östersunds FK in the Swedish second tier, scoring once. He returned to the UK in December.