FOREST Green’s sparkling start to the season continued as goals from Clovis Kamdjo and Jon Parkin made it back-to-back Vanarama Conference victories.

Earlier Forest Green boss Ady Pennock named an unchanged side from the excellent opening day win at Southport.

Chester started brightly enough, still smarting from an opening day 5-0 hammering at home to Barnet.

John Rooney, brother of England and Manchester United’s Wayne, fizzed over.

Rovers responded. The bearded Robbie Sinclair’s free-kick picked out the leaping Kamdjo, who saw his glancing header saved by Freddy Hall.

Rovers nosed ahead on 10 minutes thanks to a goal of sublime quality.

A sweeping move saw captain David Pipe feed Parkin, and his strength saw the robust striker fizz the ball out to Sinclair, who picked out Kamdjo to strike from close in.

The frenetic start soon fizzled out with chances at a premium-despite a strike high, wide and not very handsome from Parkin, and a rash volley from Sam Wedgbury.

Deep into first half stoppage time, Chris Stokes slipped through the gears, but his final ball was lacking.

Chester opened the second half full of intent and pinned Rovers back with winger Peter Winn starting to dictate.

However, Pennock’s side broke from the shackles with Wedgbury forcing Hall to save from Lee Hughes' assist.

Rovers made it 2-0 on 55 minutes. Slightly built left -winger Elliott Frear ran from his own half and cut a ball across the box for Parkin to see his initial strike blocked by Gareth Roberts, but the alert former Stoke City striker swept the free ball home for his first goal for Rovers.

Chester boss Steve Burr needed a way back into the contest and he turned to former Wolves and Scotland international Chris Iwelumo on the hour.

Tempers frayed with rugged Rovers’ defender Danny Coles seeing a yellow for a push on Chester’s Craig Hobson.

Rovers rallied. Hughes forced Hall to save from a Parkin pass and moments later Frear saw his point-blank strike fingered over from another Parkin lay-off.

Rovers can certainly play it long or short this season and in one direct move a clip from Coles found Hughes marauding on the right wing and his first-time ball across the box saw Hall in the right place to gather Frear’s volley.

On 76 minutes, Pennock made a double substitution with James Norwood entering the fray for the impressive Frear and Kurtis Guthrie on for Sinclair.

Two minutes later Chester were handed a lifeline. Luke Oliver’s clearing header dropped to Peter Winn, who rifled an unstoppable strike beyond Sam Russell.

On the cusp of full-time Russell plunged to his left to glove a Rooney strike away as Rovers saw the game out.

Forest Green: S. Russell; D. Pipe, L. Oliver, D. Coles, C. Stokes; R. Sinclair (K. Guthrie 77), C. Kamdjo, S. Wedgbury, E. Frear (J. Norwood 76); J. Parkin, L. Hughes (L. Rodgers 81).

Subs not used: E. Oshodi, M. Kelly.

Chester: F. Hall; D. Taylor, M. Brown, K. Charnock, G. Roberts; C. Mahon (C. Iwelumo 61), K. James, J. Rooney, P. Winn; S. McConville, C. Hobson (J. Menagh 69).

Subs not used: J. Disley, L. Blake, J. Worsnop.

Referee: A. Bromley (Plymouth)

Attendance: 1,083

Away attendance: 335

Star man: Jon Parkin