AHEAD of their debut season in League Two, Forest Green boss Mark Cooper watched his side continue their pre-season schedule with a 3-0 win at Hellenic Premier Division Brimscombe and Thrupp.

Rovers' boss Cooper was pleased to see his side come through the match unscathed, he said: “Pre-season is all about trying to get through it and getting as much fitness as we can into the players without getting them injured, but we have obviously lost Liam Noble (knee) with a little bit of an injury and Drissa Traore is currently back in France following the death of his mother.”

Less than twenty-four hours after playing Shortwood, Rovers made light work of Gloucestershire neighbours Brimscombe - Christian Doidge opening the scoring with a sumptuous 10th-minute strike and then scoring his second from the penalty spot on 35 minutes after Dan Hill collided with Luke James – giving the League Two new boys a 2-0 lead at the break.

A raft of changes at the interval failed to deter Rovers and in-form Olly Mehew grabbed a third with 20 minutes to go.

Brimscombe boss Sam Prior can be satisfied with his well-drilled outfit and on this evidence his side will be a sure bet for a top five finish next season. However, the gulf in class was tangible, but Prior can point to a stonewall first-half penalty claim after Scott Laird barged winger Ed Major over in the box.

Rovers predictably bossed the game, and the driving runs of giant defender Manny Monthe were prevalent during the opening 45 minutes.

Academy prospect Jordan Stevens started how he finished at Shortwood United with another eye-catching cameo from the baby-face 17-year-old. Stevens was denied by the agile Lewis Clayton, but the Brimscombe keeper was grounded when Reece Brown shaved the post from the edge of the box for Rovers.

A raft of subs at the break saw Rovers take another look at former Fulham midfielder Josh Smile and West Brom defender Jack Fitzwater with the duo set to spend more time with the squad next week.

Brimscombe started brightly in the second-half – Ben Snook forcing Sam Russell to save following quick feet from Karl Nash. Rovers responded – Omar Bugiel firing wide and then Clayton doing well to deny Mehew and Shamir Mullings.

Rovers were hunting a third and Smile should have hit the target as Bugiel's pass opened the Lilywhites up.

Brimscombe were almost caught cold when Jordan Morris stepped on the gas to challenge the onrushing Clayton, who saw his clearance fall to Mullings, who return the ball with a 30-yard strike onto the bar.

Rovers made it three with twenty minutes to go – Mehew fizzing home from a Dan Wishart cross.

Brimscombe huffed and puffed and came close to a late consolation, Snook arrowing over.

Rovers continue pre-season preparations at National League Weston-super-Mare on Tuesday before welcoming Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Cooper's side fly to Portugal on Sunday week for a five-day training camp, including a friendly against SC Farense.

Brimscombe: Clayton; Hill, Greenough, Pitts, Pass (P Holmes 73); Cladwell, Snook, Blackie (Bowles 68), Major (Deakin, 45); Pitt (Smith 45), Nash (J Holmes 61)

Forest Green first-half: B.Collins; Bennett, Monthe, Collins, Laird, Evans, Cooper, Stevens, Brown, James, Doidge

Forest Green second-half: Russell; Trueman, Fitzwater, Elliot, Wishart, Smile, Bugiel, Mehew, Morris, Mullings

Referee: Mr Ben Williamson

Attendance: 520