FA Trophy 1st qualifying round

Shortwood United......................................... 2

Frome Town................................................ 0

SHORTWOOD boss Paul Meredith demanded a response after Tuesday’s 4-0 drubbing at Bishop’s Cleeve but even he must have been surprised by the display his side gave against Southern League Premier outfit Frome Town, writes Jim Cunneen.

First-half goals from Sam Taylor and on-loan Forest Green winger Jordan Morris saw Shortwood cause an upset and pocket £3,250 from the FA prize fund.

“We needed something after Tuesday and we got it, said Meredith.

“The players were brilliant today and did everything that was asked of them.

“Now we have proved what we can do and we must build on this. But I am delighted not only with the performance but also what it means to the club.”

Earlier, Wood gave a debut to former Tuffley defender Tristan Haswell.

Frome dominated the ball, but Shortwood keeper Will Pedrick only had one real save to make and that came in added time at the end of the game.

After 15 minutes Frome’s Jon Davies drove a free-kick straight at Pedrick and Wood broke. When Taylor collected the ball wide on the right there seemed little danger but he cut in, beat two players and shot across Phillips into the far corner.

Wood enjoyed their moments and their approach play was good and some of the passing was excellent and Ryan Meredith headed a Jack Freeman corner over the bar.

Wood doubled their lead after 41 minutes with help from the visiting keeper Phillips. Under pressure he hacked the ball clear but only straight to Morris 30 yards out and the teenager controlled the clearance, ran on and shot and Phillips could only deflect the ball into the corner of the net.

Frome attacked with more vigour in the second-half, but time-after-time Wood players hurled their bodies in the way of shots and the tackling was superb. When they did find a way through their finishing was woeful and Wood relied more and more on breaks and the Frome defence was troubled when they did get forward.

Deep in added time Pedrick saved well from Page, Jackson rattled the foot of the post from six yards and then blazed the ball high over the bar.

When referee Wilding, who had a fine game, blew the final whistle Shortwood were warmly applauded from the field.

SHORTWOOD: Pedrick, Low, Haswell, Meredith R, Thwaite, Davies, Freeman, Meredith L (Kibble 83), White, Taylor, Morris.

Star Man: Sam Taylor.