PASSENGERS were evacuated after a bus caught fire travelling from Stonehouse to Stroud.

The driver of the bus saw smoke coming from the demister and quickly pulled over in Stonehouse High Street to evacuate passengers yesterday at around 4pm.

Smoke damage was caused to the windows and there was damage towards the front of the bus, the number 66E service.

"The driver evacuated us the minute he saw the smoke pouring from his demister," said Cameron Bourne, who was on the bus.

"We could smell the smoke, it was quite strong."

Two fire engines attended and crews quickly brought the fire under control.

Fortunately nobody was injured.

Passengers understand the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

A spokeswoman for Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue said two fire engines attended the incident.

Crews were on scene for around 25 minutes until the fire was brought under control.