This month, landlord Ian Morrison marks 30 years at the Retreat in Stroud. However, the pub is also celebrating a much-longer anniversary, as regular Adrian Stratton reports.

THIS year is the 250th anniversary of the site of the Retreat being a licensed premises, it's hard to believe that regulars have been enjoying a drink there since 1768!

The very familiar premises have been a welcome haven for many over the years and Ian is a well known face.

For months people have been sending photographs which have been posted on Facebook and I've shared some of my favourites with the SNJ in the gallery above.

To mark this great milestone the Retreat is featuring a live band on this Friday, a good old fashioned cheesy disco on Saturday and the annual Retreat cycle ride from Cheltenham to Stroud on Sunday.

Ian and his staff are bracing themselves for a busy weekend as many faces past and present are going to descend.

Whilst preparing the festivities, Ian was surprised to learn that the premises are also 250 years old this year.

Here are some key pieces of Retreat history:

1768 - The Lamb Inn was built – the street was originally part of The Shambles. The street became known as Lamb Street after the Inn but this was later changed to Church Street.

1824 - When James Wakefield was in possession of this Inn, from 1824 to 1836, the four-horse London mail-coaches went from it in the evening and came to it in the morning, daily, performing each journey in 12 hours.

1831 - Mr Wakefield hosted the first meeting of the Stroud Society for the Prosecution of Felon to prosecute criminals.

1834 - A Mr King had been to market in Stroud and was robbed by two men of all his money which included Stroud Pound notes and one Bath note. Mr Wakefield was later in Bristol when he noticed a male buying some handkerchiefs and stockings with a Stroud note.

He stopped him and searched him to find more Stroud notes and the Bath note.

Both men were found guilty and has to leave the country forever and were kept in a chain gang for eight years.

1836 - James Wakefield left the Lamb Inn and John Barnett became the new owner.

On 28th June 1838 John Barnett and a Mr. Thornton served 108 tradesmen to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Coronation.

1841- John Barnett died aged 40 and Mr. Bond took over. He didn’t last long and Mr Harding took over in 1842.

This changed again from 1843 to 1845 when John Chesterton took charge.

1845 - Mr Westfield ran the Lamb Inn and hosted a number of ‘Odd fellows’ dinners.

1855 - The landlord was a William Barnfield but he unfortunately dropped down dead whilst playing billiards aged 39. The verdict of a coroner’s jury was “he died by the Visitation of God.”

1865 The Lamb was bought by Watts, Hallewell, Biddell and Cowdery and this was the first recorded instance of a tied house in Stroud.

1876 Stephen William was in charge and the Lamb Inn became known as the Lamb Hotel.

1893 A fatal trap accident occurred outside the Lamb.

1910 Albert Whitley became the hotel keeper and he was succeeded by Alfred Morgan in 1914. The premises again became the Lamb Inn.

1919 Alfred Morgan was fined £3 for failing to billet soldiers.

The licensee refused to board two English Solders as he already had nine Australian Solders staying with him.

At Court he stated he preferred Colonials as he got a bigger fee.

1930 The landlord was John Ayres who had served 21 years as a Corporal of the Horse in the Life Guards.

He unfortunately committed suicide by cutting his throat and was found by his wife in a bedroom at the premises.

The Lamb at an unknown time after this changed its name to The Seed Restaurant and then became the Alley Restaurant.

1978 The premises became known as Corkers and was owned by Richard and Jennie Dimmock.

July 4, 1988 - Ian Morrison took over and it became The Retreat, opening in September 1988.

A very happy birthday 250th birthday to The Retreat from everyone at the SNJ and a huge congratulations to Ian Morrison to serving our town - and so many SNJ reporters - so well, for so long.