A 71-YEAR-OLD Nympsfield man died from the effects of asbestos exposure during his time as a builder in the 1960s and 70s, an inquest heard this week.

David Cox of Cotswold Terrace worked at Elliots in Uley for a number of years from 1967 and was exposed to asbestos on a regular basis as her ripped down garages, the Gloucester inquest was told.

In 2017 Mr Cox was diagnosed with Mesothelioma, a lung cancer for which the only known cause is asbestos exposure.

In January this year he was suffering increased shortness of breath and his condition deteriorated. He was placed on palliative care, passing away on September 7 this year.

Senior Gloucestershire Coroner Katie Skerrett recorded a conclusion of industrial disease.

"His HMRC work history backs up that he was working as a builder, the only time he believes he was exposed," she said.