A telegraph pole was set on fire in Stroud this morning.

Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service were called by Western Power Distribution at 10.50am.

One fire engine from Stroud attended the incident on Ash Road.

A dry powder fire extinguisher was used to put the fire out.

A spokesman for Western Power Distribution confirmed they were called just before 9.30am to reports of an overhead powerline being down, and that a compnent fault was responsible for the fire.

A total of 1,500 homes temporarily lost power although all bar 200 had power restored almost immediately.

Houses on the Hill Close estate, Bath Road and Chandos Road, that were directly fed by the line, lost power for longer but all had power restored by 12.30pm.