A LAND owner from Stonehouse is urging members of the public to clean up after their dogs when walking on or near to agricultural land.

The Ryeford resident issued her plea because, after having her grass cut and baled into hay, she then noticed a dog poo next to one of the bales.

She said she was concerned, as parasites found in some dog faeces can result in the abortions of cattle and death in sheep.

"Dog poo left on fields with cattle could expose cows to a parasitic infection that may result in early abortions or leave calves infected with the parasite," she said.

"The least we can ask is that people deal with their dog's mess, especially considering the intended use of our hay for cow feed."

She asks that any pet owners walking in or near fields pick up their dog's waste and take it home with them.