IT was the Last Post for mail and bread by WW2.

We look at the former Post Office and Bakery which stood on the corner of Trinity Road and Whitehall in Stroud. Situated just up from Stroud Hospital, it was just a busy bakers and shop with early records showing that it was owned by William Unitt during 1885.

Unfortunately he became bankrupt a year later and the property was auctioned off to pay the debts. Arthur Brinkworth became the new owner with the Post Office being added by 1910. Various owners came and went until a Mr Harding moved the bakery to Cowle Road, Stoud just before the WW2.

The sub-Post Office moved to Middle Street, also by the war and finally closed in 2003. It’s such a pity that in today’s picture, the bushes hide those lovely period cottages in the background. Thanks to Stroud Local History Society for this information.