A FIRE which broke out in Middle Street last night was caused by an electrical fuse box under a pavement. 

A Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "One fire engine from Stroud was sent to Middle Street at 5.53pm yesterday to deal with a fire in an electrical fuse box under a pavement.

"We didn’t need to use anything to extinguish it but we made sure it was safe and waited for Western Power to attend. We left the scene at 7.37pm."

The fire broke out close to Nelson Street by the Golden Fleece pub.