Shortwood 2 Tytherington Rocks 0 – UHL Hellenic League

Report by Jim Cunneen.

Wood won their first game of the season with a 2-0 win over the Rocks but it came at a cost as Captain Joe Tryner dislocated and fractured his elbow in a reoccurrence of the injury he picked up last year. All at the club wish him well and hope it is not long before we see him back in a Wood shirt.

On a positive note Wood were sharp throughout and were in charge for most of the game. Jacob Nowell was man of the match after a terrific performance but he was pushed by Dylan Miles who terrified the defence and put in many dangerous crosses until he was substituted having run himself into the ground. Wood also welcomed back Harry Purnell and again the youngster gave a most accomplished performance. Overall this was Wood’s best performance as they never eased up and were worthy winners of the 3 points.

As early as the 2nd minute Miles stripped the defence and his low cross was inches away from Harper at full stretch and any touch would have given Wood the lead. After 6 minutes Beadle forced visiting keeper to save with his feet and Wood were playing some great stuff. For Rocks Hodgson was a threat and Clark had to advance quickly to block his shot when he found his way through and Bowles went close with a 20 yarder.

Wood took the lead after 20 minutes. Miles again raced through and Schofield could only parry his fierce shot straight to Harper who slammed the ball into the roof of the net. Miles was having a field day and Wood looked dangerous every time they went forward. Schofield saved from Chambers before Wood lost Tryner. The Wood captain challenged a forward and the result was obvious immediately. After a 10 minute delay he was helped from the field to be replaced by Tom Hoskins and Wood carried on. Just before the break Schofield saved a curler from Beadle at full stretch.

The dangerous Hodgson forced Clark to tip an effort round the post shortly after the restart in a rare threat and it was Wood who continued to look the more dangerous. Chances came and went but with 10 minutes left Wood sealed the win. A corner from Beadle was met perfectly by a Hoskins header as he rose above everyone to head powerfully home from 8 yards.

In the dying seconds Brock fired over from close range for the visitors but the 3 points and a clean sheet were thoroughly deserved by the Wood and their efforts were warmly appreciated by the Wood faithful.

To complete an excellent day for the club Shortwood Reserves won their league game at Bourton Rovers 6-1 with a hat trick for Max Brent and other goals from Fin Blythe, Freddie Porter and mr OG. That result lifts them to 3rd in the table.