Forest Green maintained their unbeaten away record after coming from behind to earn a 1-1 draw at Bradford.

Andy Cook put the Bantams in front in the 10th minute, outjumping the visitors’ defence to head home from Elliot Watt’s corner.

Forest Green enjoyed plenty of possession but could not find a way through Bradford’s tight defence and Cook almost scored a second goal after 40 minutes when Rovers failed to clear another corner from Watt and the striker’s header was blocked on the line by Luke McGee.

Cook ought to have scored in additional time at the end of the first half. Levi Sutton was brought down on the edge of the box by Baily Cargill after a surging 30-yard run – a foul that earned the visiting player a booking.

Watt’s free-kick was blocked by the defensive wall and the ball broke to the unmarked Cook who fired wide.

Rovers came back strongly after the interval and equalised in the 55th minute with a goal hotly-disputed by Bradford’s players.

Substitute Jake Young burst through the home defence to level the scores, but Bradford claimed Alex Gilliead had been fouled in the build-up and goalkeeper Richard O’Donnell was booked for protesting.

Both sides went to close to scoring a winner during some ill-tempered exchanges – six players were booked in the match – with Cook seeing a header rebound off the crossbar.

Head coach Rob Edwards was satisfied with a point.

“We were pleased overall," he said.

"Bradford came at us and I was disappointed with the goal they scored from a set piece. That’s the first goal we have conceded from a set piece this season.

“I was pleased with the reaction in the second half. It is something I looked from from the team. Bradford continued to create chances but we showed good control of the ball. We have some good players and we have changes we can make.

“I was delighted for Jake Young. He works very hard and that’s the third goal he has scored this season. He deserved that.

“The second-half performance was very good. A draw was a fair result. We take a point and move on.”

Bradford manager Derek Adams said referees should face the media after matches to explain their decisions.

Adams declined to comment on the equaliser, other than to say “it looked like a foul on one of our players” and adding “free speech is null and void”, making the point that managers are not allowed to criticise match officials.

He added: “I have to come out and face the press, as do the players. I hope we get to a position when referees are accountable for their decisions.”

Forest Green's lead at the top was cut to three points after Port Vale beat 10-man Crawley 4-1.

Rovers are next in action on Sunday evening when they travel to St Albans City in the first round of the FA Cup.