EVESHAM United’s home hoodoo struck again as they wasted countless chances in a 2-2 draw with Shortwood United in Evo-Stik Southern League Division One West.

After falling behind to an early own goal from Nick Rhodes, the Robins got back on track with two goals in as many minutes from Adam Mann and Matthew Liddiard.

But Evesham failed to convert their dominance in the second half and with 15 minutes left Chris Earle snatched a point for Shortwood.

There were concerns over the fitness of Joe Turley, Matt Bennett and captain Linden Dovey after suffering problems in the 2-0 win at North Leigh on Boxing Day.

But the trio were all passed fit to play as Evesham named an unchanged team in a 3-5-2 formation.

Shortwood were hampered by injuries as they were only able to field three substitutes, including 50-year-old ex-Portsmouth and Swansea City midfielder Chris Burns.

But the visitors took a surprise lead on eight minutes as Joe White’s cross was turned into his own net by Rhodes.

Looking for an immediate response, Jordan Bryan sent in a deep cross to Mann who headed over.

United got plenty of joy down the flanks and came agonisingly close to levelling the scores on 16 minutes.

After Lewis Binns got beyond his marker, the winger’s cross found its way through to Archie Haskayne whose shot bounced off the crossbar.

Evesham continued to push forward and their persistence paid off on 24 minutes.

Haskayne showed some good footwork to find Dovey who drilled the ball to the far post for Mann to tuck away.

Just a minute later, United went 2-1 in front as a cross from Binns was flapped at by goalkeeper George Burton and Liddiard was on hand to drive the ball home.

The quick-fire double turned the game on its head and the Robins remained on top for the rest of the half.

Mann went the closest to adding a third before the break as his 25-yarder whistled over on 34 minutes.

Evesham then cranked up the pressure at the start of the second period.

After just two minutes of the period, Binns’ header was cleared off the line by Liam Meredith before Liddiard’s shot was fumbled by Burton.

On 51 minutes, Lewis Powell should have increased the Robins’ advantage as Mann curled the ball in for his strike-partner who sent a free header narrowly wide.

Chances continued to fall for Evesham but they failed to convert as Rhodes headed over from close range following a Mann corner.

Mann then missed the target with a 20-yard strike.

With Evesham wasting opportunities, Shortwood still had hope and started to claw their way back as Will Hawes and Nick Humphreys let fly.

Goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer did not have much to do until the 75th minute when Shortwood inflicted a sucker punch.

Sawyer parried a shot only for it to fall for Earle who found the back of the net from the rebound.

Evesham almost hit back on 81 minutes as a free-kick from Mann was turned around the post by Burton.

Moments after coming on, Carl Brown also went close with a right-foot shot before Binns’ powerful shot was palmed away by Burton.

Evesham: Sawyer; Dovey (Hancock 77), Rhodes (Brown 83), Turley; Binns, Bennett, Liddiard, Haskayne, Bryan; Powell (Corrick 69), Mann. Subs not used: Williams, Fahy.

Shortwood: Burton, Mereditch, Ryan Thwaite, Landers (Rich Thwaite 33), Ismail, Freeman, Meredith, Hawes, Humphreys, Earle, White. Subs not used: Burns, Taylor.

Referee: Jack Shepherd.

Attendance: 259.