Anglo Welsh Cup

Gloucester 43 Ospreys 20

GLOUCESTER moved to the top of Pool One in the Anglo-Welsh Cup with a bonus point 43-20 win over Ospreys at Kingsholm.

Gloucester fielded a side of far greater experience but it took them considerable time to quell spirited opposition as they continued their quest to appear in the final, which will be held on their home ground.

In order to maintain that goal, it is likely a win at Pool Four leaders, Newcastle, will be needed in next week's final round if they are to stay ahead of Bath and Wasps in their table.

Richard Hibbard, Mark Atkinson, Callum Braley, Ollie Thorley, Henry Trinder, Ben Morgan and Matt Scott scored Gloucester's tries with Billy Burns adding four conversions.

Alex Jeffries, Reuben Morgan-Williams and Ifan Phillips were Ospreys' try-scorers with Luke Price adding a conversion and a penalty.

Gloucester dominated the opening exchanges before Ospreys had the first chance for points but Price was off-target with an 11th-minute penalty.

It took another eight minutes for the scoreboard to tick over when Hibbard finished off an unstoppable line-out drive which Burns converted for a 7-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Gloucester soon extended that lead when Braley ran 40 metres to set up a try for Atkinson before 25 players were involved in a melee, but the referee chose not to take any disciplinary action.

Ospreys lost flanker Will Jones through injury following a thumping tackle from full-back David Halaifonua.

However, the visitors overcame this setback to open their account. Morgan-Williams blew a golden opportunity before Jeffries forced his way over to leave his side trailing 12-7 at the interval.

Within minutes of the restart, Ospreys drew level when Morgan-Williams atoned for his error by chipping over Braley, who fumbled, to allow the scrum-half to score.

Price missed the conversion but gave his side the lead with a penalty. The advantage was short-lived as Braley darted over before Thorley finished off a flowing move.

Trinder's try 12 minutes from time finally broke Ospreys' resistance to send them out of the competition before forwards Morgan Morris and Lloyd Ashley were both yellow carded.

Gloucester took advantage to score a try from Morgan before Phillips crossed, with Scott's final try giving the hosts a flattering final scoreline.