Toolstation Western Premier League

Bridgwater Town 2

Shortwood United 1

SHORTWOOD boss Jason Scrivens felt a ‘dubious’ free-kick cost his side a share of the spoils at high-flying Bridgwater Town.

Shortwood looked nailed on for only their third point of a chastening season as the clocked ticked, but they were stung when a free-kick was awarded with two minutes to go. Bridgwater struck from the subsequent kick to leave Scrivens incandescent with rage.

He bemoaned: “The referee handing out 10 yellow cards, which I found laughable as there was only two tackles that needed attention. We were right in it until a dubious free-kick gave Bridgwater the winner on 88 minutes.

“It’s not just hard for me to take, but the lads are playing their hearts out to get results and I felt we were good for a point against a big side in this league from start-to-finish, my only criticism is how we defend from the front allowing teams to create their opportunities from us not pressing them in key areas, when do get together and a close early we give teams problems with the pace we have on counter, once we learn to do this from the offset we will win games, but again we take massive positives to take into the next game."

Shortwood did have one piece of luck and that came after six minutes. A back pass was played to keeper Viney and Lewis Bainbridge chased it down. Viney hacked the ball away but straight at the Wood man and the ball rebounded back into the empty net. Wood were guilty of not closing down quickly and allowed Duffy far too much room to level from 25 yards just five minutes later, but credit to the Town man for a terrific strike that flew past Clarke into the top corner.

Mathews had a shot blocked and Clarke turned over a free-kick from Llewellyn as the game flowed and before the break good work from Mathews set up Bainbridge, but his shot was wide. Forest Green loanee Marsh had a chance, but shot too close to Viney and Clarke produced a great save to deny Taylor.

Straight after the break Forest Green loanee Kalnins made a good run but his shot was weak and the play became constantly broken up by the officials whistle.

Wood were superb in the second-half and allowed Bridgwater no room and captain Tryner and man-of-the-match Bebbington excelled. When they did get forward Wood looked dangerous with Bowles, Kalnins and Marsh a constant threat. A cross from Horton rolled along the Wood bar, but Town were largely restricted to long shots.

After 66 minutes Marsh made a great run down the left flank and his low cross saw Kalnins slide in and he was inches from getting the touch that would have given Wood the lead.

Wood sub Elliot forced Viney into a save and then came the moment that cost Wood.

Bebbington was fouled as he went to play the ball, but that was ignored and that mistake was compounded when Bridgwater were awarded a free-kick themselves when there appeared to be no apparent reason.

The ball was played into Taylor who slammed the ball home and Town celebrated their late reprieve and Wood were left to ponder their misfortune and wonder how they had been robbed of the result they so richly deserved.

Shortwood: Clarke, Bebbington, Nowell (Elliott 85). Hoskins, Tryner, Tustain (Langworthy 78), Bainbridge (Walker 65), Bowles, Mathews, Kalnins, Marsh

Attendance: 273

Star Man: Marcus Bebbington

Wood travel to 10th place Odd Down on Saturday.