Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup 3rd Round

Shortwood United 3

Bishop’s Cleeve 2

JOE WILTON bagged a hat-trick as Shortwood United shocked Bishop’s Cleeve, writes Jim Cunneen.

Delighted Wood co-manager Jason Scrivens said: “We went brave with a new formation, which they executed well and showed the quality we have in the team despite being a relatively new squad, just need to switch this to the league campaign now.”

Wood started the brighter. Kalnins sent a fine header against the bar which rebounded to safety. Straight from this escape Cleeve broke at speed and with Wood appealing for offside, Luke Payne had time to sweep the ball home. Cleeve took the initiative and game to Wood and Payne, Davis and Llewellyn all had chances, but Wood did not buckle and slowly but surely began to assert themselves and create chances of their own. Wilton had a flicked header cleared off the line with Mills closing and Harper – Emerson sent a shot narrowly over. After good work from Harper – Emerson and Black Wilton came close. Just before the break Wood were fortunate as Davis had a real chance as Wood dithered but Clark managed to deflect his effort round the post.

Wood came out of the blocks for the second half determined to push Cleeve back and they were enjoying the better possession when after 63 minutes they were given a lifeline. Halliday swung in a free-kick which found Hoskins at the far post. Facing away from goal he controlled the ball turned and went down. Cleeve were aggrieved as referee Gregory pointed to the spot and it did appear to be a soft award but after the fuss had died down Wilton sent keeper Wieczorek the wrong way to level the scores.

Just four minutes later Wood were in front with a superb goal. Halliday stopped Hancock in his tracks and found Wilton. A quick swift interchange between Wilton and Soule put Wilton free and as the keeper came out Wilton calmly shot into the bottom corner.

Wood’s lead lasted less than 5 minutes as Cleeve came back with a fine goal of their own after 71 minutes. Jack Watts on hand to shoot high into the net from 8 yards.

Wood were not to be denied. Wilton and Kalnins forced Wieczorek into saves before finally Wood got their deserved winner as the game went into added time. Wood constructed a fine move and when Finn Byrnes sent in a low cross Wilton fired home.

Shortwood: Clark, Kerr, Kalnins, Hoskins, Halliday, Snook, Harper (Soule 65), Black (Nowell 86), Wilton, Harper Emerson, Mills (Byrnes 76)