Forest Green Rovers claimed a well-earned one all draw against table toppers Newport County on Tuesday night.

Despite going behind after conceding from a Tristan Abrahams penalty on the stroke of half time, former Newport man Jamille Matt levelled the game on 76 minutes.

Rovers boss Mark Cooper was pleased with his side’s effort against strong opposition.

Speaking to the club’s media, he said: “I’m really happy with the performance – you can’t do a lot more than that without winning the game.

“We created chances, we were aggressive, played really good football and I really liked what we did tonight.

“A point against the top team is not to be sniffed at.”

Matt once again showed his class as the former Exiles man was able to restore parity in the game and Cooper knows his talents stretch beyond the confines of the football pitch.

“He’s a brilliant pro, he’s good to have around the place,” he added. “We’ve got a really young group and he looks after them and gives them good advice and that’s probably as key as the good work he’s doing on the pitch as well.”

Forest Green were perhaps unlucky to not have been awarded a penalty in the first half as it looked as though Udoka Godwin Malife was fouled in the opposition’s box.

Cooper strongly believed that referee Ben Toner should’ve awarded his team a spot kick as he said: “We should have had a penalty.

“The referee is usually good but he’s had an off night tonight - he missed a lot of things and he’s missed a blatant penalty.”

Cooper and his side next travel to Harrogate Town; a side that, of late, have looked leaky at the back and have conceded nine in their last two outings.

Cooper has urged his side to go into the match with a sense of cautiousness surrounding the 15th placed side.

“We’ve got to be careful of a wounded animal because they’re going to come out scratching and fighting and biting so we’ve got to be ready,” he warned.

Saturday will be the first meeting between Rovers and Harrogate as Cooper and his side prepare to make the trip up North.