Forest Green Rovers got back to winning ways on Saturday after they secured a hard fought 1-0 win away to Leyton Orient to move up to second place in League Two.

Nicky Cadden once again shone for Rovers and the Scot claimed the only goal of the contest on 23 minutes. Some good control from new signing Baily Cargill enabled him to cut the ball back to Cadden on the edge of the box who ran through and poked home from close range.

On 64 minutes, Dan Happe was dismissed for Orient after he was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Jamille Matt.

Forest Green manager Mark Cooper was seemingly pleased with the victory as he praised his side’s performance.

Speaking to BBC Radio Gloucestershire, he said: “We competed for every ball today which you have to do.

“I spoke to the players at length at lunchtime today and said if they give us everything they’ve got, they’ve got so much ability, they can be top, top players.

“They have to have a balance of ability and application as well and today the whole group, even the ones that didn’t get on the pitch, their application was outstanding.”

Despite acknowledging the excellent three points, Cooper admitted that previous results had left his side feeling nervous.

“We’re a bit anxious because we haven’t won for a couple of games and when that happens the players can become a little bit anxious,” he added. “It was about giving them the framework for them to play off and give them a bit of confidence.”

Lewis Thomas started in goal for Forest Green as Cooper confirmed that Luke McGee picked up a thigh strain when Rovers faced Tranmere on Tuesday. The 23-year-old keeper kept a clean sheet and impressed on his return to the starting 11 and Cooper was full of praise for the shot stopper.

“We knew probably from early out that Thomas was going to play and there were no qualms about that because we have every faith in Thomas and we knew he’d be fine,” he said. “He was really calm; he didn’t have a lot to do but what he did do he did really well.”

Forest Green next hosts rivals Cheltenham Town at the innocent New Lawn on Saturday afternoon.