Forest Green interim Head Coach Jimmy Ball claimed his first victory in charge of Rovers as they narrowly edged past Scunthorpe 3-2 on Saturday afternoon.

It is currently unknown how long the Ball era will last at Forest Green, but what the early stages of the game showed was that it will be one full of energy and attacking intent. From his bellowing cries on the touchline asking for more in attack, Ball seemed to be focused on fast-paced, high-octane football.

Corners were clearly the order of the day in training under the new coach – of the four corners inside the opening 10 minutes, there was seemingly a unique drill for each. One of the routines nearly proved fruitful on 7 minutes as skipper Chris Stokes’ close-range header forced Rory Holden to make a fine reflex save.

Rovers made their countless early crosses pay as Jordan Moore-Taylor headed the home side ahead on 21 minutes following an excellent pin-point Ebou Adams ball – the goal marks the 27-year-old’s second in as many matches.

Scott Wagstaff was a proverbial whisker away from doubling Forest Green’s advantage on 35 minutes. Some more dangerous play down the wings saw Aaron Collins flash a ball in front of goal but the sliding Wagstaff couldn’t quite convert the chance.

As the Fourth Official rose the board to indicate four minutes would be added at the end of the first half, Scunthorpe found an equaliser. Defender Harrison McGahey picked the ball up in a cramped Forest Green box and rifled his effort home to net the first league goal of his professional career.

The Iron then took the lead on 52 minutes as Abo Eisa claimed his ninth of the season. A long free kick was brought down delicately by the forward which enabled him to maneuver space and find the back of the net from just inside the Rovers box.

On 72 minutes, Forest Green levelled the scoring through another headed goal. A brilliant cross, this time by Nicky Cadden from a free kick, found the head of Adams who was able to restore parity in the contest.

Just minutes after scoring, Adams earned Forest Green a penalty after he was clipped following a corner. Nicky Cadden stepped up to the mark but was denied by the legs of Rory Watson – a corner then ensued.

However, from the following corner, Stokes was able to nudge Rovers ahead on 80 minutes. After a frantic scramble in the penalty area, the ball landed at the feet of Stokes who converted past a pile up of bodies.

Collins very nearly claimed a deserved goal on 89 minutes – the Rovers forward took aim from the edge of the box but saw his effort tipped well round the post.