Jimmy Ball’s unbeaten start to life as temporary Forest Green boss was ended on Tuesday evening as his side fell to a 2-0 defeat to Barrow, writes Sam Wiles.

The loss sees Rovers slip out of the League Two play-off places and they now sit in eighth place ahead of a vital last two games.

The game began at a sluggish pace and left the Forest Green interim head coach demanding that his men “make it quicker”, as it was “too slow” – something that hasn’t been the case in the last few games.

However, Ball’s cries for more seemingly fell on deaf ears when, from the penalty spot, Barrow took the lead on 18 minutes.

Following an Udoka Godwin-Malife foul on Bobby Thomas just inside the box, Scott Quigley stepped up and comfortably nudged his side in front from 12-yards.

On 25 minutes, the evening’s task was made a much more arduous one for Rovers when Thomas turned goal scorer.

The defender was able to claim his first of the season from just yards out following the ball falling to him after some scrappy play in front of the goal mouth.

Baily Cargill had Rovers’ first attempt on goal just two minutes prior to half-time. The defender found space at the front post following an intricate corner routine but was unable to head home from Odin Bailey’s cross.

The away team nearly piled on further misery just before the stroke of half time, however Neal Eardley’s long-range free kick smacked against the side of the post instead of the back netting.

After 58 minutes, Jake Young had Forest Green’s first attempt on target in a second half that started franticly and lacked quality.

The 19-year-old took aim from close after finding space in the box but his shot was matched well by Joel Dixon who tipped the effort onto the roof of his net.

Despite changes of personnel and formation in the second period, Forest Green could not alter their fortunes and watched the Cumbrian side claim all three points – Rovers have now registered just one win in their last ten as they head into the final two league games of the season.