Forest Green were forced to share the spoils in a 1-1 draw against a dogged Hartlepool at the New Lawn on Saturday.

Regan Hendry’s 53rd-minute screamer put Rovers ahead but Omar Bogle restored parity with 21 minutes to go.

Both sides had chances to win it in stoppage time with Pools’ substitute Joe Grey firing wide and Kasey McAteer missing a glorious chance at the death for the hosts.

Rovers sit five points clear at the top and are 10 ahead of fourth place with six games to go.

They were dealt a blow when captain Jamille Matt pulled up in the 15th minute with a concussion after an earlier clash of heads with Pools defender Timi Odusina.

Tom Crawford should have put Hartlepool ahead after 30 minutes, but he flashed wide with just goalkeeper Luke McGee to beat.

Hartlepool goalkeeper Ben Killip kept the game goalless by saving smartly from Rovers duo Jack Aitchison and Josh March.

Hendry broke the stalemate in the 53rd minute, fizzing in an exquisite strike beyond the sprawling Killip.

Hartlepool equalised 15 minutes later when Bogle fired under McGee.

March’s header was turned on to the bar by Killip and Hendry shot wide but Rovers could not find a late winner.

Boss Rob Edwards said: “After going 1-0 up and on the balance of play I’m disappointed, but the bottom line is we’re one point closer.

“We started the second half reasonably well and it was a fantastic goal from Regan Hendry.

“We didn’t deal well with the goal, it was a scruffy one to concede, but we had chances, one hit the woodwork and Kasey McAteer had a chance at the end.

“We had chances to win it, but seven points in a week is a good return.”

Speaking about the injury to Matt he added: “Jamma took a bang to the head and we followed precautions, but he’s OK."

And Edwards lauded the impact of Regan Hendry who came in for the injured Ben Stevenson.

“Regan was outstanding and took his chance well,” Edwards said.

“We’ve got good players to come in when players go out through injury.”

Rovers travel to Barrow on Good Friday before hosting Oldham on Easter Monday. Both games are 3pm kick offs.