STROUD MP David Drew has released a statement saying that he believes that ex-FGR chairman has been released from a Russian prison.

Former Forest Green Rovers chairman Trevor Horsley had been detained in Russia while investigators looked into an outstanding Interpol arrest warrant on him.

The 63-year-old was arrested on suspicion of fraud at the Spartak stadium in Moscow before the England game last week. 

However, United Arab Emirates’ Interpol office is believed to have sent confirmation to Russia that Trevor Martin Horsley have been arrested by mistake. 

David Drew said that he hoped that Trevor would be back with his family in the UK soon.

"After several days liaising with relevant authorities in Dubai, Moscow and London, I now believe that Trevor Horsley has been released in Moscow.

"We are awaiting official confirmation from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I am hopeful that he will be back in the UK soon with his family and receiving the treatment he needs."

Horsley is understood to be suffering from a number of health issues including lung cancer and was being held at a secure medical unit.

"Trevor is not only a constituent, but is also a friend. I am very worried about his health and that he is receiving the medication and treatment he needs,” the Stroud MP said when he heard of Mr Horsley's arrest.

During his time as FGR chairman from 1992 to 2012, the Yorkshireman bankrolled the club to two promotions and a Wembley appearance.

He was chairman and stepped down from his role to become vice chairman to the late Colin Gardner.

When Dale Vince took over as chairman of the club 2011, Trevor continued as vice chair, before stepping down in 2012.

Trevor was responsible for transforming Rovers from a struggling Southern League outfit and his acumen and finances helped the club rise up the pyramid to the National League.

Additionally, he oversaw the ground move to the current New Lawn stadium.

On Saturday, the day after the Russian court ordered for Horsley to be detained, current FGR chairman Dale Vince said: "We hope that it gets resolved quickly and Trevor is back in time for the Leeds game."