Police have said that efforts to identify a body that was found on the M5 yesterday morning are 'still ongoing'. 

The M5 was closed in both directions for much of the day as police investigated the circumstances of the death. 

Police are also investigating whether a body found on the M5 could be that of a missing person reported yesterday. 

A spokesperson for Gloucestershire police said: "Officers investigating the circumstances of a body found on the M5 say that efforts are ongoing to identify the person who died.

"One of the leads detectives from the Constabulary's Criminal Investigation Department are following up is whether the body is that of a missing person reported yesterday morning.

"Formal identification will not be possible for several days as tests will also need to be completed."

The M5 was closed in both directions after the body was found.

All lanes on the northbound carriageway of the M5 between junction 12 and junction 11A have now been reopened.

Lanes two and three on the southbound carriageway have also been reopened.

A 50 mile an hour speed limit wa in place past the scene on the northbound carriageway and a 40 mile an hour speed limit is in place past the scene southbound.

The incident was reported shortly before 4.10am.

A spokesperson for Gloucestershire police said: "Specialist officers at the scene have been carrying out body and evidence recovery in extremely challenging circumstances and this is the main reason there has been such a long delay.

"Police would like to thank road users for remaining patient throughout the day and showing understanding that the central aim has been to give dignity to the person involved and provide reassurance to their family that everything possible has been done to show respect to their loved one.

"The investigation continues and officers are still keen to hear from anyone who has not yet contacted police who travelled between junctions 11 and 12 on either carriageway between 3.45am and 4.15am today.

"Information can be given to police by calling 101 and quoting incident 34 of 30 October."

Officers attended the scene, on the southbound carriageway around a mile north of Gloucester Services.

Police also sealed off the Ash Path bridge that runs over the motorway.

Specialist capabilities chief inspector Alistair Barby said: "We appreciate that these closures have caused a significant impact on people travelling in the area today and I would like to thank everyone for their continued patience throughout this.

"Our officers remain at the scene investigating the circumstances of what has taken place and we have had a number of people contact us with information following our appeals.

"Our officers are also being supported and assisted by colleagues from both Wiltshire Police and Avon and Somerset Police and I would like to pass my thanks on to them.

"While we understand how much impact these closures are having, someone has died and it is our responsibility to get answers for their family as to what has happened, while also protecting the dignity of the person involved."

Information can also be submitted to police online via http://bit.ly/36kUWxt.