Forest Green Rovers and Cheltenham Town played out a tight 0-0 draw on Saturday afternoon as both sides continue to push for promotion, reports Sam Wiles.

As derby days often are, it was a tense and cagey opening with neither side able to get a foothold in the contest. However, on three minutes Baily Cargill came close after his headed effort from a Nicky Cadden cross was saved comfortably.

Cheltenham had the first clear opportunity of the game after 17 minutes as the ever-present threat of Alfie May seemingly beat Rovers’ backline but the Robins number 10 subsequently saw his run flagged offside.

Just after the half-an-hour mark Jake Young’s chipped effort nearly caught Joshua Griffiths out in the Cheltenham Town goal but the ball flew marginally over the bar.

The second period of the match started with more vigour. On 51 minutes, May tested Lewis Thomas’ alertness in goal after the forward fizzed a low shot across the surface but the Rovers goalkeeper got down quickly to deny an opener.

Just before the hour mark, second half substitute Aaron Collins nearly scored with his first touch of the ball. After a great piece of play down the left, Rovers swung a low ball at the forward but his resulting flick was straight at Griffiths.

Odin Bailey nearly pulled off the spectacular on 66 minutes after his fine free kick attempt from just outside the Cheltenham box was tipped well onto the crossbar.

Forest Green Midfielder Ebou Adams was shown a second yellow card and sent off on 69 minutes after the referee adjudged him to have committed a foul on Charlie Raglan.

With both sides looking for a late winner, Collins once again came close on 88 minutes. Following winning the ball back high up the pitch, he fired his attempt inches over the bar.

Cheltenham thought they had a winner deep into injury time as Sam Smith had the ball in the back of the net. However, much to his and the Robins’ disappointment, the official’s flag was up.

Following the draw, Forest Green now sit in third place in the League Two rankings.