Many of us are living longer and may require some form of care in our later years.  Planning for care in later life can help you and your loved ones to avoid having to make confusing and stressful decisions at a time when you may need care most. 

The Orders of St John Care Trust (OSJCT) is experienced and passionate about the care they provide.  They are a not-for-profit charity that has people at the heart of everything they do, and they will help guide you through options for loving care that’s right for you or a loved one. 

In this guide from a series on care, you might find helpful information on how to plan for care in later life.

Stroud News and Journal:
Which care option is right for you?

For those who prefer to stay in their own home, then live-in care could be an option.

Many people either need or prefer to get more support with daily living and care, and that is when a care provider like The Orders of St John Care Trust can support you.  They offer residential care homes, where you will receive the care you need, but you will also be supported to carry on doing the things you love, such as a favourite hobby, or try something new.

The Orders of St John Care Trust also offers nursing and dementia care for individuals with more complex medical needs.  Their qualified nurses provide medical care and supervision, and they employ five Admiral Nurses out of a total of 16 in the care sector. Their award-winning team of Admiral Nurses is supported by the charity Dementia UK and provides specialist support for OSJCT care teams as well as individuals and families affected by all forms of dementia.

If you are looking for a short-term stay, or a break from your own caring responsibilities, then The Orders of St John Care Trust also offers respite care and day care.

Stroud News and Journal:
How will you fund care?

Care costs vary.  Eligibility for state funding is based on individual needs and financial circumstances and your local authority will have more information on support that may be available. 

If you are not eligible for state funding, financial planning should take into account potential long-term care costs and ensure that you have adequate resources set aside for this purpose.  Personal savings, pensions, property, investments and long-term care insurance policies can be used to fund care. 

It's a good idea to get professional advice from an independent financial advisor, such as the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA), on how to fund your care.

Stroud News and Journal:
What legal documents do you need?

Speaking with your loved ones about how you would like to be cared for is important, and legal documents can help ensure your wishes are respected.

Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that allows one or more people you trust to make a decision on your behalf, should you become unable to do so. 

There are two types of LPA:

  • A Health and Welfare LPA allows the people you trust to make decisions about your health and personal welfare, including moving into a care home and medical treatment;
  • A Property and Financial Affairs LPA allows the people you trust to make decisions about your finances, property and other related matters.

You can find more information about Lasting Power of Attorney and how to register it at

If you have a valid Property and Financial Affairs LPA, this means that the people you trust can sign a contract on your behalf with The Orders of St John Care Trust for your care and make payments for your care.  

Whichever care option is right for you, The Orders of St John Care Trust can provide you or a loved one with a home where you are cared for and can continue to do the things you love and enjoy, with a sense of belonging among friends.

For more information:

The Orders of St John Care Trust offers not-for-profit care across Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, West Sussex and Wiltshire. Visit or call 03301 913 551 to find out more about the care on offer and planning for care in later life.