Shortwood 2-2 Brislington

Shortwood United stretched their unbeaten run to three games on Tuesday writes Jim Cunneen.

It came on an emotional night as Shortwood paid tribute Nick Ackland on Tuesday evening with an impeccable one minute’s silence.

The ex-Shortwood player and Reserve Team manager had passed away at the age of 51 and will be missed by all who knew him.

It took a Lee Bowles equaliser in added time to salvage a point for Shortwood in an entertaining game.

It is a tribute to the ground staff and the pitch that the game took place at all given the deluge but the surface was excellent. The wind played its part as Wood had the great majority of the first half and Brislington the second and both sides will feel they should have won the game. Shortwood could have been out of sight by half time but found themselves behind and Brislington created the better chances in the second but conceded a late equaliser. It was that sort of evening.

Wood could have taken the lead after 4 minutes when star player Lee Bowles found Ben Langworthy and his shot was blocked on the line but they did score after nine minutes.

Kalnins lifted the ball high into the area and the wind caused Blammon to flap and Ross Langworthy’s close range shot was deflected home. Wood forced a succession of corners and it was completely against the run of play when Brislington levelled after 20 minutes.

They broke down the right flank the cross was headed back by the unmarked Neilson and Plummer had an easy finish. Wood pressed again. Bowles fired just over and then set Ross Langworthy free.

The speedy front man just lost control at the vital moment and keeper Blammon was able to clear. Kalnins headed over Ross Langworthy peppered the goal with shots and twice Blammon made excellent saves.

After 40 minutes Wood fell to a sucker punch a long ball put Plummer through and Clarke was adjudged to have brought him down and Plummer himself converted from the spot. There was still time for keeper Blammon to make his best save before the half time whistle and Wood left the field with a sense of injustice that the football gods had them behind.

It was Brislington’s turn to feel frustrated in the second half. Wood’s football was not as fluid in the second half and Clark saved well from Dagger and Plummer volleyed a good chance wide. Clark made his best save of the night to deny Neilson and manager Scrivens rang the changes. Wood looked dangerous on the break and Mathews drove a cross over that just evaded Ross Langworthy.

Finally in the 92nd minute, Mathews quick throw in found Ross Langworthy who beat his man and drove a low cross in. Lee Bowles arrived at the far post to slam the ball home and give Wood the point and take their unbeaten run to three games.

This Shortwood side has gelled, the spirit is tremendous and they and the Management team deserve all the credit there is. No longer is an easy 3 points for any opposition the future bright for these players and the club and the football they are playing is rich in entertainment.

Team: Clark, Bebbington, Tryner, Langworthy B, Hoskins, Leonard (Bainbridge 74), Gardner (Walker 72), Bowles, Kalnins (Mathews 72), Langworthy R, Marsh