Shortwood United 2 Moreton Rangers 2 (5-4 penalties) – GFA Challenge Trophy 1st Round

SHORTWOOD stumbled into the next round of the GFA and will now meet Lydney at home in December, writes Jim Cunneen after winning the tie 5-4 on penalties.

Wood went through on the strength of a bizarre penalty shootout where they missed two of their first three but with Moreton only needing to convert one of their last two they missed as well and when Kenneth Mills scored and Rangers missed again, Wood went through.

The opening 15 minutes saw Wood playing some good approach football but with limited opportunity before Soule put keeper Currill under pressure and his clearance went straight to Harper – Emerson but his shot was far too high.

Wallace then fired over for the visitors before Wood took the lead after 25 minutes. An excellent diagonal ball from Ellis Harper found Harper -Emerson and he cut in and shot. Currill half stopped it but Soule finished from close range. Harper – Emerson was again the provider as he stripped the defender down the flank and his cross to the far post was met by Soule’s diving header.

Moreton pulled one back after 40 minutes. Wyatt’s free-kick into the box caused a scramble and Harry Peters slammed the ball home. Wood proceeded to miss two excellent chances before the break to put the game beyond doubt and were almost made to pay when Clark saved point blank from Wallace.

The second half was scrappy to say the least and chances were few and far between as Wood struggled to find any fluency at all although Black raced through and shut down the keeper. When he shot Goss pulled off a remarkable clearance off the line. The ball came back to Black but he shot wide of the post. Moreton started to look the more dangerous coming forward and twice Clark had to be alert to stop them scoring.

With 15 minutes remaining. Keeper Currill turned round a shot from Harper – Emerson but Rangers were in the ascendency and missed at least two good chances to level. Two chances came in the last minute. First Currill raced out to deny Mills and when the ball went up the other end Brooks ran on to shoot low past Clark to level the scores.

Seconds later the whistle blew and Wood emerged from the penalty shootout with the win.