FOREST GREEN’S winless run stretched to seven games as they were held to a 0-0 Boxing Day draw at bottom of the table Stevenage.

Just as was the case when the sides met back in September, the two fired blanks again.

Rovers remain in the play-off pack, just three points shy of automatic-promotion.

Rovers had spells of pressure in both halves, but a late push from the hosts almost won it.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that earned a point against league leadwers Swindon Town on Saturday.

James Morton came into the middle of the park to replace striker Matty Stevens, while Nathan McGinley started at left wing-back as Joseph Mills started as a centre-back.

After a slow start to proceedings, McGinley made space for himself down the right, turned his man inside out before looking to find a ball inside, but nothing presented itself though.

Morton’s free-kick after 15 minutes could have troubled the hosts, but Matt Mills couldn’t quite direct a knock-down back into the six-yard box.

With the half-hour mark approaching, Adams did well to play a one-two with Aitchison before crossing towards Frear. Nothing came of the chance though, and the Boro were able to clear.

The visitors best spell of the half came with 37 minutes on the clock, Carl Winchester stinging the gloves of Paul Farman form 25 yards, before Adams got around the outside to fire goalwards less than a minute later. His shot, destined for the near top corner, was well saved by the Boro stopper.

Stevenage had a chance to end the half as leaders, Dean Parrett seeing his deflected effort fly just over the bar.

The hosts came out of the tunnel with renewed vigour, and they went close on two occasions at the start of the half.

Jason Cowley went close with a powerful header, before Elliott List spurned a great chance as he cut in from the right of the area.

Just shy of the hour mark, Liam Shephard burst into one of his trademark runs down the right, but his clever ball to the back post flashed wide, with nobody arriving to turn it home.

Stevenage had the ball in the net after 72 minutes as substitute Craig Mackail-Smith fired home on the volley, but the offside flag ruled it out.

Rovers had a claim for a penalty as the second half drew on, Stevens breaking into the area and crashing to the ground. The ref waved away his claims though.

Adam Smith was called into action on more than one occasion in the second half his best save coming from a long range strike as he pushed the bouncing ball wide.

A late Shephard block proved crucial as the hosts almost grabbed the points at the death, the Welshman putting his body on the line in a late scramble.

Forest Green XI: Smith, Shephard, M.Mills, Winchester, Adams, Morton (Stevens 57’), Frear (Collins 57’), McGinley, Godwin-Malife (Rawson 46’), J.Mills (c), Aitchison

Unused subs: Thomas, Dawson, Kitching, Mondal

Stevenage XI: Farman, Digby, Cuthbert, Carter (Mackail-Smith 57’), Cowley (Guthrie 89’), Kennedy, Parrett, Nugent, Lakin, Denton, List (Taylor 87’)

Unused subs: Bastien, Soares, Vancooten, Timlin

Referee: James Oldham

Next time out: Macclesfield Town, The New Lawn, Sunday, December 28, 3pm