Swindon Town left it late to secure a 1-0 victory in their Southern Group E match against Forest Green in the Papa John’s Trophy on Tuesday night, writes Sam Wiles. 

However, despite the loss Rovers can still qualify to the knockout round of the competition if Exeter City beat West Brom Under 21s next Tuesday.

On 93 minutes and in the last kick of the game, Swindon substitute Tom Broadbent found himself on the end of a Robins corner and was able to poke in from close range.

Former Forest Green academy graduate Jordan Stevens looked to be a threat for Swindon in the opening stages of the game. After first being denied at close range by a superb Lewis Thomas save, he later struck the post from the edge of Rovers’ box 24 minutes into the contest.

Stevens then probably should have secured a hat trick for the Robins on 27 minutes. After missing two clear opportunities he was again allowed to take aim after a Thomas mistake but he saw his effort sail way beyond the Rovers net.

Forest Green struggled to find any real momentum in the first half with their most notable efforts coming from a wayward Elliot Whitehouse strike and a dangerous free kick attempt by Aaron Collins.

Matty Stevens had the best chance of the first half for Rovers inside injury time. A looping corner from Collins found Stevens’ head as he ran onto it but his effort was well parried away by Joe Fryer.

Swindon had the ball in the back of the net on 53 minutes but saw their effort chalked off by the assistant referee. Stevens once again charged through the Rovers back line and was able to slot in Johnny Smith but the winger was adjudged to have strayed offside.

Second half substitute Jayden Richardson had an opportunity to break the deadlock on 79 minutes but for a decent double save from Fryers. Richardson’s blistering pace found him space in the Swindon box but alert keeping from Fryers nullified his attempts.

Josh March did well to beat Swindon’s offside trap on 89 minutes but his resulting effort was saved well by a diving Fryer.

Forest Green next host Mansfield Town in League Two at the Innocent New Lawn on Saturday.